Hi Robbin,

Yes, I ran my benchmark [1]. Please see below the output showing that the table
was grown.

../jdk/build/linux-x64-release/images/jdk/bin/java -cp .
-Xlog:thread+table=info ThreadStartupTest
Starting the test
[0.185s][info][thread,table] Grown to size:512
The test finished.
Execution time:15673 ms

[1] https://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dtitov/tests/ThreadStartupTest.java

Thanks!
Daniil

On 10/7/19, 12:34 AM, "Robbin Ehn" <robbin....@oracle.com> wrote:

    Hi Daniil,

    Yes, good, but:

    >>      >> Testing:  Mach5 tier1, tier2, and tier3 tests successfully
passed.
    >>      And if you have not done so, you should test this with the
benchmark you
    >> have as
    >>      a stress test and see that this does what we think.

    Can you please test it with your benchmark, if you have not done so?

    /Robbin

    >>      Thanks, Robbin
    >>      >>
    >>      >> Thank you!
    >>      >>
    >>      >> Best regards,
    >>      >> Daniil
    >>      >>
    >>      >> On 10/2/19, 3:26 PM, "David Holmes" <david.hol...@oracle.com>
wrote:
    >>      >>
    >>      >>      Hi Daniil,
    >>      >>      On 3/10/2019 2:21 am, Daniil Titov wrote:
    >>      >>      > Hi David and Robbin,
    >>      >>      >
    >>      >>      > Could we consider  making the ServiceThread responsible
for the
    >>      >> ThreadIdTable resizing in the similar way how
    >>      >>      > it works for  StringTable  and ResolvedMethodTable,
rather than
    >> having
    >>      >> ThreadIdTable::add() method calling ThreadIdTable::grow()?
    >>      >>      > As I understand It should solve  the current  issue and
    >> address the
    >>      >> concern that  the doing the resizing could be a relatively long
and
    >>      >>      > doing it without polling  for safepoints or while the
holding
    >>      >> Threads_lock is not desirable.
    >>      >>      I originally rejected copying that part of the code from
the other
    >>      >>      tables as it seems to introduce unnecessary complexity.
Having a
<david.hol...@oracle.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>      >>      >
    >>      >>      >      Hi Robbin,
    >>      >>      >
    >>      >>      >      On 2/10/2019 7:58 pm, Robbin Ehn wrote:
    >>      >>      >      > Hi David,
    >>      >>      >      >
    >>      >>      >      >> What if the table is full and must be grown?
    >>      >>      >      >
    >>      >>      >      > The table uses chaining, it just means load factor
tip
    >> over what is
    >>      >>      >      > considered a good backing array size.
    >>      >>      >
    >>      >>      >      Coleen raised a good question in a separate
discussion,
    >> which made me
    >>      >>      >      realize that once the table has been initially
populated all
    >>      >> subsequent
    >>      >>      >      additions, and hence all subsequent calls to grow()
always
    >> happen
    >>      >> with
    >>      >>      >      the Threads_lock held. So we can't just defer the
grow().
    >>      >>      >
    >>      >>      >      >> That aside, I'd like to know how expensive it is
    >> grow this
    >>      >> table.
    >>      >>      >      >> What are we talking about here?
    >>      >>      >      >
    >>      >>      >      > We use global counter which on write_synchronize
must
    >> scan all
    >>      >>      >      > threads to make sure they have seen the update
(there some
    >>      >>      >      > optimization to avoid it if there is no readers at
all).
    >> Since this
    >>      >>      >      > table contains the threads, we get double
penalized, for
    >> each new
    >>      >>      >      > thread the synchronization cost increase AND the
number
    >> of items.
    >>      >>      >      >
    >>      >>      >      > With concurrent reads you still need many
thousands of
    >> threads, but
    >>      >>      >      > I think I saw someone mentioning 100k threads,
assuming
    >> concurrent
    >>      >>      >      > queries the resize can take hundreds of ms to
finish.
    >> Note that
    >>      >> reads
    >>      >>      >      > and inserts still in operate roughly at the same
speed
    >> while
    >>      >>      >      > resizing. So a longer resize is only problematic
if we
    >> do not
    >>      >>      >      > respect safepoints.
    >>      >>      >      I think if anything were capable of running 100K
threads
    >> we would be
    >>      >>      >      hitting far worse scalability bottlenecks than this.
But
    >> this does
    >>      >> seem
    >>      >>      >      problematic.
    >>      >>      >
    >>      >>      >      Thanks,
    >>      >>      >      David
    >>      >>      >      -----
    >>      >>      >
    >>      >>      >      > Thanks, Robbin
    >>      >>      >      >
    >>      >>      >      >>
    >>      >>      >      >> David
    >>      >>      >      >>
    >>      >>      >      >>> /Robbin
    >>      >>      >      >>>
    >>      >>      >      >>> On 2019-10-02 08:46, David Holmes wrote:
    >>      >>      >      >>>> Hi Daniil,
    >>      >>      >      >>>>
    >>      >>      >      >>>> On 2/10/2019 4:13 pm, Daniil Titov wrote:
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> Please review a change that fixes the issue.
The
    >> problem
    >>      >> here is
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> that that the thread is added to the
ThreadIdTable
    >>      >> (introduced in
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> [3]) while the Threads_lock is held by
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> JVM_StartThread. When new thread is added  to
the
    >> thread
    >>      >> table the
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> table checks if its load factor is greater
than
    >> required and
    >>      >> if so
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> it grows itself while polling for safepoints.
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> After changes [4]  an attempt to block the
thread while
    >>      >> holding the
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> Threads_lock  results in assertion in
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> Thread::check_possible_safepoint().
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> The fix  proposed by David Holmes ( thank you,
    >> David!)  is
    >>      >> to skip
    >>      >>      >      >>>>> the ThreadBlockInVM inside
ThreadIdTable::grow()