Hi Bob,

>>    It’s too bad getCpuLoad can’t detect that the cpuset is identical to the
>> hosts in order to allow you to fallback to
>>   getSystemCpuLoad0.

I think we can detect that the cpuset is identical to the host's one by
comparing the length of the array containerMetrics.getEffectiveCpuSetCpus()
returns
to the number of the CPUs configured on the host and returned by
sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF) . The latter could be retrieved by adding new
native
 method to OperatingSystemImpl getConfiguredCpuCount0. If they match then we
just fallback to getSystemCpuLoad0(). I did some testing on Linux host and
 inside Docker container with different '--cpuset-cpus' settings and it seems
to work as expected.

JNIEXPORT jint JNICALL
Java_com_sun_management_internal_OperatingSystemImpl_getConfiguredCpuCount0
(JNIEnv *env, jobject mbean)
{
  if(perfInit() == 0) {
    return counters.nProcs;
  } else {
    return -1;
  }
}

If there is no objection I will include this change in the new webrev.

Thank you,
Daniil