Hi Chris and Alex,

(I've also included Dan, David and Dean to the mailing list)

We have to reach a consensus about this.

We have 3 options:

Option #1:
  The JIT optimization to delete a code which "looks useless"
  has to be disabled if can_pop_frame capability is enabled.
  Than this problem becomes a JIT compiler bug.

Option #2:
  Consider to relax the JVMTI PopFrame spec by changing it to something like:
  "Note however, that the original argument values are not
   preserved and can be changed by the called method;"
  Than this problem becomes a JVM TI spec bug.

Option #3:
  Consider it is Okay for compiler to eliminate useless code,
  so the argument values can be reinitialized by the PopFrame.
  Than this problem becomes just a test bug.

My preference is option #3.
The point is that if the arguments are not really used in
a method then restoring them to any values is a no-op.
It is really meaningless use case, so why should we care about it.

Thanks,
Serguei