Yes, David

You are correct these changes touch all part of VM and may affect Graal (which
also has EA) too.
Changes should be tested in all our modes: tiered, C1 only, Graal, Interpreter. And I realized that I only ran tier3-graal testing so I submitted the rest of Graal's tiers now.

I had assumed that our current testing (I ran all from tier1 to tier8) should exercise all paths in VM these changes touch. But I may be wrong and it is correct to ask author to add testing in all VM modes to make sure new code in VM's runtime and JVMTI is tested.

I do like to keep what current test is doing with C2. May be add an other test for other modes or modify current one to enable to run it in other modes.

Thanks,
Vladimir

On 12/12/19 3:32 PM, David Holmes wrote:
On 13/12/2019 9:02 am, Reingruber, Richard wrote:
Hello Vladimir,

thanks for having a look.

   > Use vm.compMode == "Xmixed" instead of vm.compMode != "Xcomp" to skip
   > test from running in Interpreter mode too.

Done.

   > You don't need vm.opt.TieredCompilation != true in @requires because you
   > specified -XX:-TieredCompilation in @run command.

Ok.

   > The test is specifically written for C2 only (not for C1 or Graal) to
   > verify its Escape Analysis optimization.
   > I did not look in great details into test's code but its analysis may be
   > affected if C1 compiler is also used.
   >
   > Richard may clarify this.

The test cases aim to get their testmethod 'dontinline_testMethod' compiled by
C2. If they get C1
compiled before doesn't matter all that much. I've got a slight preference to
disabled tiered
compilation for simplicity.

My concern - perhaps unfounded - is that this seems to be being tested only in a pure C2 environment when the actual changes will have to operate correctly in a tiered environment (and JVMCI).

Thanks, Richard.