Hi Daniil,

Just want to make sure I understand what communications are going on here. Your concern is when the jstat and jstatd processes are on different sides of the firewall. When you launch jstatd, you specify the socket port it will receive requests on, and when you launch jstat, you must specify this same socket port, so no firewall problem there assuming the firewall is configured to allow communication over that port. However, once the request is received by jstatd, data can be communicated via RMI rather than over the specified socket port. By default jstatd was choosing a random RMI port, and I assume this RMI port was communicated to the jstat process via the initial socket port. This presents a problem for firewall configuration, since the firewall configuration cannot know the RMI port that will be used. So now you're allowing the rmi port to also be specified.

Am I close? :)

Chris