Hi Serguei,

I added my comments there. In brief, I believe that in long term in the
serviceability tools we should avoid
using the system properties and prefer the command line options instead.

Thanks,
Daniil

On 2/24/20, 11:04 AM, "serguei.spit...@oracle.com"
<serguei.spit...@oracle.com> wrote:

    Hi Daniil,

    I've looked at CSR and posted a couple of questions there.
    It'd be nice if you help to resolve my confusion. :)

    Thanks,
    Serguei

    On 2/23/20 20:21, Daniil Titov wrote:
    > Please review change that adds a new command line option to jhsdb tool
for the debugd mode to specify a RMI connector port.
    > Currently a random port is used that prevents the debug server from being
used behind a firewall or in a container.

    > New CSR [3] was created for this change and it needs to be reviewed as
well.

    > Man pages for jhsdb will be updated in a separate issue.
    >
    > The current implementation (sun.jvm.hotspot.SALauncher)  parses the
command line options passed to jhsdb tool,
    > converts them to the ones for the debug server and then delegates the
call  to sun.jvm.hotspot.DebugServer.main().

    >                // delegate to the actual SA debug server.
    >   367         DebugServer.main(newArgArray.toArray(new String[0]));
    >
    > However,  sun.jvm.hotspot.DebugServer  doesn't support named options and
that prevents from efficiently adding new options to the tool.
    > I found it more suitable to start Hotspot agent directly in  SALauncher
rather than  adding a new option in  both sun.jvm.hotspot.SALauncher
    >   and sun.jvm.hotspot.DebugServer and  delegating the call.  With this
change I think sun.jvm.hotspot.DebugServer could be marked as a deprecated
    > but I would prefer to address it in a separate issue.
    >
    > Testing: Manual testing with attaching the debug server to the running
Java process or to the core file inside a docker
    >                  container  and connecting  to it with the GUI debugger.
    >                 Mach5 tier1-tier3 tests (that include
serviceability/sa/sadebugd tests) succeeded.