Hello,

Please review the following:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~cjplummer/8244203/webrev.00/index.html

The root of the problem is that SA is trying iterate over all loaded classes by using ClassLoaderDataGraph, but it possible that a class that ClassLoaderDataGraph knows about can be in a state that makes it findable by SA, but not yet initialized far enough to make is usable by SA.

The first issue I tracked down in this area was a case where an InstanceKlass did not yet have its java_mirror. This resulted in the NPE you see reported in the bug, because there is some SA code that assumes all InstanceKlass's have a java_mirror. I fixed this by not having ClassLoaderData.classesDo() return any InstanceKlass that was not yet initialized to the point of being considered "loaded". That fixed this particular problem, but there was another still lurking that was similar..

The second issue was that event attempting to iterate over the set of loaded classes could cause an NPE, so you couldn't even get to the point of being able to reject an InstanceKlass if it was not yet int he "loaded" state.  ClassLoaderData.classesDo() needs to get the first Klass in its list:

    public void classesDo(ClassLoaderDataGraph.ClassVisitor v) {
        for (Klass l = getKlasses(); l != null; l = l.getNextLinkKlass()) {
            v.visit(l);
        }
    }

Since the first Klass is the one most recently added, its also subject to sometimes not yet being fully loaded. Calling getKlasses() will instantiate (wrap) the first Klass in the list, which in this case is a partially loaded InstanceKlass which was so early in its initialization that InstanceKlass::_fields had not yet been setup. Creating an InstanceKlass (on the SA side) requires _fields to be set, otherwise it gets an NPE. I fixed this by allowing the InstanceKlass to still be created if not yet "loaded", but skipped any further initialization of the InstanceKlass that would rely on _fields. This allows the InstanceKlass to still be used by ClassLoaderData.classesDo() to iterate over the classes. However, I also wanted to make sure this uninitialized InstanceKlass wasn't leaked out to SA beyond its use by classesDo(). It looks like the only other way this is possible is with ClassLoaderData.find() and Dictionary.allEntriesDo(), so I put an InstanceKlass.isLoaded() checks there also.

One way I tested these fixes was to by introducing short sleep in ClassFileParser::fill_instance_klass() right after the Klass gets added to the ClassLoaderData:

   _loader_data->add_class(ik, publicize);
+  os::naked_short_sleep(2);

By doing this the bug reproduced almost every time, and the fixes resolved it.

You'll also notice a bug fix in ClassLoaderData.allEntriesDo(). The outside loop is not only unnecessary, but results in the same Klass being visited multiple times. It turns out no one uses this functionality, but I fixed it anyway rather than rip it out because it seemed it might be useful in the future.

The changes in ClhsdbClasses.java test are to better check for expected classes when dumping the set of all classes. I added these after realizing I had introduced a bug that caused only InstanceKlasses to be dumped, not interfaces or arrays, so I added a few more types to the list that we check.

thanks,

Chris