Hi Alex,

Please review a new version of the webrev [1] that no longer uses
waitTillEquals() method.

[1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dtitov/8131745/webrev.04/

Thank you,
Daniil

On 6/3/20, 4:42 PM, "Alex Menkov" <alexey.men...@oracle.com> wrote:

    Hi again Daniil,

    On 06/03/2020 16:31, Daniil Titov wrote:
    > Hi Alex,
    >
    > Thanks for this suggestion. You are right, we actually don't need this
waitForAllThreads() method.

    > I will include this change in the new  version of  the webrev.
    >
    >>      207         int diff = numNewThreads - numTerminatedThreads;
    >>       208         long threadCount = mbean.getThreadCount();
    >>       209         long expectedThreadCount = prevLiveTestThreadCount +
diff;
    >>      210         if (threadCount < expectedThreadCount) {
    >>     if some internal thread terminates, we'll get failure here
    >
    > The failure will not happen. Please note that  prevLiveTestThreadCount
counts only *test* threads. Thus even if some Internal threads terminated   the
value mbean.getThreadCount() returns should still be no less  than the expected
number of live test threads.

    > 310         prevLiveTestThreadCount = getTestThreadCount();

    Oh, yes, I missed it.

    LGTM.

    --alex

    > Best regards,
    > Daniil
    >

    > On 6/3/20, 3:08 PM, "Alex Menkov" <alexey.men...@oracle.com> wrote:
    >
    >      Hi Daniil,
    >
    >      couple notes:
    >
    >      198         waitForThreads(numNewThreads, numTerminatedThreads);
    >
    >      You don't actually need any wait here.
    >      Test cases wait until all threads are in desired state
    >      (checkAllThreadsAlive uses startupCheck, checkDaemonThreadsDead and
    >      checkAllThreadsDead use join())
    >

    >        205     private static void checkLiveThreads(int numNewThreads,
    >        206                                          int
numTerminatedThreads) {
    >        207         int diff = numNewThreads - numTerminatedThreads;
    >        208         long threadCount = mbean.getThreadCount();
    >        209         long expectedThreadCount = prevLiveTestThreadCount +
diff;
    >        210         if (threadCount < expectedThreadCount) {
    >
    >      if some internal thread terminates, we'll get failure here
    >

    >      --alex
    >
    >      On 06/02/2020 21:00, Daniil Titov wrote:
    >      > Hi Alex, Serguei, and Martin,
    >      >
    >      > Thank you for your comments. Please review a new version of the
fix that addresses them, specifically:
    >      > 1)  Replaces a double loop in checkAllThreadsAlive() with a code
that uses collections and containsAll()  method.
    >      > 2)  Restores the checks for other ThreadMXBean methods
(getThreadCount(), getTotalStartedThreadCount(), getPeakThreadCount()) but with
more relaxed conditions.
    >      > 3)  Relaxes the check inside checkThreadIds() method
    >      >
    >      >
    >      > [1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dtitov/8131745/webrev.03/
    >      > [2] https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8131745
    >      >
    >      > Thank you,
    >      > Daniil
    >      >
    >      > On 6/1/20, 5:06 PM, "Alex Menkov" <alexey.men...@oracle.com>
wrote:
    >      >
    >      >      Hi Daniil,
    >      >
    >      >      1. before the fix checkLiveThreads() tested
    >      >      ThreadMXBean.getThreadCount(), but now as far as I see it
tests
    >      >      Thread.getAllStackTraces();
    >      >
    >      >      2.
    >      >        237     private static void checkThreadIds() throws
InterruptedException {
    >      >        238         long[] list = mbean.getAllThreadIds();
    >      >        239
    >      >        240         waitTillEquals(
    >      >        241             list.length,
    >      >        242             ()->(long)mbean.getThreadCount(),
    >      >        243             "Array length returned by " +
    >      >        244                 "getAllThreadIds() = %1$d not matched
count =
    >      >      ${provided}",
    >      >        245             ()->list.length
    >      >        246         );
    >      >        247     }
    >      >
    >      >      I suppose purpose of waitTillEquals() is to handle
creation/termination
    >      >      of VM internal threads.
    >      >      But if some internal thread terminates after
mbean.getAllThreadIds() and
    >      >      before 1st mbean.getThreadCount() call and then VM does not
need to
    >      >      restart it, waitTillEquals will wait forever.
    >      >
    >      >      --alex
    >      >
    >      >
    >      >      On 05/29/2020 16:28, Daniil Titov wrote:
    >      >      > Hi Alex and Serguei,
    >      >      >
    >      >      > Please review a new version of the change [1] that makes
sure that the test counts
    >      >      > only the threads it creates and ignores  Internal threads
VM might create or  destroy.
<alexey.men...@oracle.com> wrote:
    >      >      >
    >      >      >      Hi Daniil,
    >      >      >
    >      >      >      I'm not sure all this retry logic is a good way.
    >      >      >      As mentioned in jira the most important part of the
testing is ensuring
    >      >      >      that you find all the created threads when they are
alive, and you don't
    >      >      >      find them when they are dead. The actual thread count
checking is not
    >      >      >      that important.
    >      >      >      I agree with this and I'd just simplify the test by
removing checks for
    >      >      >      thread count. VM may create and destroy internal
threads when it needs it.
    >      >      >
    >      >      >      --alex
    >      >      >
    >      >      >      On 05/18/2020 10:31, Daniil Titov wrote:
    >      >      >      > Please review the change [1] that fixes an
intermittent failure of the test.
    >      >      >      >
    >      >      >      > This test creates and destroys a given number of
daemon/user threads and validates the count of those started/stopped threads
against values returned from ThreadMXBean thread counts.  The problem here is
that if some internal threads is started ( e.g. " HotSpotGraalManagement Bean
Registration"), or destroyed  (e.g. "JVMCI CompilerThread ") the test hangs
waiting for expected number of live threads.
    >      >      >      > The fix limits the time the test is waiting for
desired number of live threads and in case if this limit is exceeded the test
repeats itself.
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dtitov/8131745/webrev.01