http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~fmatte/8243451/webrev.09/test/hotspot/jtreg/vmTestbase/nsk/share/jdi/TestDebuggerType2.java.udiff.html

I see that isJFRActive() depends on "nsk.share.jdi.HeapwalkingDebuggee". It is not going to work of debugee is not "nsk.share.jdi.HeapwalkingDebuggee".

Shouldn't it be placed in HeapWalkingDebugger?

Leonid

On 6/8/20 9:26 PM, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
Hi Fairoz,

LGTM.

Thanks,
Serguei

On 6/8/20 21:20, Fairoz Matte wrote:
Hi Serguei,

Thanks for the clarifications,
I have incorporated the 2nd suggestion, below is the webrev,
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~fmatte/8243451/webrev.09/

Thanks,
Fairoz

From: Serguei Spitsyn
Sent: Monday, June 8, 2020 10:34 PM
To: Fairoz Matte <fairoz.ma...@oracle.com>; Erik Gahlin <erik.gah...@oracle.com>
Cc: serviceability-dev@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: RFR(s): 8243451: nsk.share.jdi.Debugee.isJFR_active() is incorrect and corresponsing logic seems to be broken

Hi Fairoz,

On 6/8/20 02:08, mailto:serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
Hi Fairoz,

There are two different isJFRActive() methods, one is on debuggee side and another on the debugger side. The one on debuggee side is better to keep in Debuggee.java (where it was before) instead of moving it to HeapwalkingDebuggee.java.
It is okay to keep the call to it in the HeapwalkingDebuggee.java.

Please, skip this suggestion as Debugger.java is not one of supers of HeapwalkingDebuggee.java as I've assumed.

Thanks,
Serguei

+    protected boolean isJFRActive() {
+        boolean isJFRActive = false;
+        ReferenceType referenceType = debuggee.classByName("nsk.share.jdi.HeapwalkingDebuggee");
+        if (referenceType == null)
+           throw new RuntimeException("Debugeee is not initialized yet");
+
+        Field isJFRActiveFld = referenceType.fieldByName("isJFRActive"); +        isJFRActive = ((BooleanValue)referenceType.getValue(isJFRActiveFld)).value();
+        return isJFRActive;
      }
It is better to remove the line:
+        boolean isJFRActive = false;
and just change this one:
+        boolean isJFRActive = ((BooleanValue)referenceType.getValue(isJFRActiveFld)).value();

Otherwise, it looks good to me.
I hope, it really works now.

Thanks,
Serguei