On 24/06/2020 10:22, David Holmes wrote:

The other way around. The setAccessible has been there long before the module system existed, to allow a non-public premain. As a side-effect when the module system came along it also disabled some module access check (I'm not sure exactly what).
This issue is nothing to do with modules. Instead I think the bug in the JPLIS agent was discovered when core reflection didn't initially assume readability so required changes to allow code in java.instrument to invoke the agent's premain method.

-Alan