On 07/08/2020 01:58, David Holmes wrote:

It does in fact ensure that:

"Otherwise, a test will not be run if the system being tested does not contain all of the specified modules."

http://openjdk.java.net/jtreg/tag-spec.html

But as I said the module could be present in a JRE but you are still using the MinimalVM.
Right, tests with `@modules java.instrument` will not be selected if the run-time under test doesn't contain this module.

It would be a bit strange to create a run-time image with a minimal VM build that doesn't have JVM TI but include java.instrument. All usages of -javaagent would be fatal because the JPLIS agent uses JVM TI. A long time ago there were calls for a way java.management and java.instrument to express that they required specific VM features but I don't think it came to anything. So nothing in jlink to catch this at link-time, at least for the case that there is only one libjvm in the generated run-time image. So technically I think the tests would need both @requires and @modules if someone really wanted to be able to run all tests with the minimal VM and expect jtreg to not select these tests.

-Alan.