On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 20:12:51 GMT, Chris Plummer <cjplum...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Do we have coding guidelines that say to indent them 8?

old "official" guidelines don't tell much about it,  @aioobe's guidelines don't
special-case array initiation, so it is covered by:
> A continuation line should be indented in one of the following four ways
> Variant 1: With 8 extra spaces relative to the indentation of the previous
> line.
> Variant 2: With 8 extra spaces relative to the starting column of the wrapped
> expression.
> Variant 3: Aligned with previous sibling expression (as long as it is clear
> that it’s a continuation line)
> Variant 4: Aligned with previous method call in a chained expression.

which will suggest that 8 is the right indent here.

google's code-style says that "array initializer may _optionally_ be formatted
as if it were a "block-like construct.", which would mean 4, but note "may" and
"_optionally_". personally I'd prefer consistency here, but if you think it
will make the lives of emacs-lovers miserable, although I'm sure you can
configure emacs to treat array-init as line continuation, and not as a block, I
can revert that.