On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 22:00:34 GMT, Chris Plummer <cjplum...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Lin Zang has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
>> commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   delete unnecessary print
>
> src/jdk.hotspot.agent/share/classes/sun/jvm/hotspot/tools/JMap.java line 62:
>
>> 60:         System.out.println("                             \tif gz
>> specified, the heap dump is written");
>> 61:         System.out.println("                             \tin gzipped
>> format using the given compression level");
>> 62:         System.err.println("                             \t1
>> (recommended) is the fastest, 9 the strongest compression.");
>
> You need to address the fact that we now have help text that is multiple
> sentences. I don't like that there are no periods in this case (except you
> added one). And using periods implies that you should also start the sentence
> with an upper case letter. And if you are to do all this for this one option,
> then it should be done for all of them.

Also, it looks like "-heap:format=x" is valid, and results in a dump mode of
MODE_HEAP_GRAPH_GXL instead of MODE_HEAP_GRAPH_HPROF_BIN. I assume that
MODE_HEAP_GRAPH_GXL and gz or not compatible. This should be made more clear in
the help text. Possibly there should just be a 3rd "-heap" help entry, this one
for "-help:format=x".