On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 19:23:16 GMT, Bernhard Urban-Forster <bur...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

>> src/hotspot/os/posix/signals_posix.cpp line 1297:
>>
>>> 1295:   kern_return_t kr;
>>> 1296:   kr = task_set_exception_ports(mach_task_self(),
>>> 1297:                                 EXC_MASK_BAD_ACCESS |
>>> EXC_MASK_BAD_INSTRUCTION | EXC_MASK_ARITHMETIC,
>>
>> Could someone elaborate on why we need to add `EXC_MASK_BAD_INSTRUCTION` to
>> the mask here?
>
> See comment above about `gdb`, the same applies to `lldb` today. The AArch64
> backend uses `SIGILL` (~= `EXC_MASK_BAD_INSTRUCTION`) to initiate a
> deoptimization. Without this change you cannot continue debugging once you
> the debuggee receives `SIGILL`. This wasn't needed before as x86 doesn't use
> `SIGILL`.

Part of the comment said `This work-around is not necessary for 10.5+, as
CrashReporter no longer intercedes on caught fatal signals.` so I thought it
was no longer needed, but it sounds like the part about `gdb` still applies
then.

We should update the comment to just say the `gdb` relevant part perhaps (and
evaluate which of the EXC_MASK_BAD_ACCESS | EXC_MASK_BAD_INSTRUCTION |
EXC_MASK_ARITHMETIC) we actually need for gdb:

 `// gdb installs both standard BSD signal handlers, and mach exception`
 `// handlers. By replacing the existing task exception handler, we disable
gdb's mach`
 `// exception handling, while leaving the standard BSD signal handlers
functional.`

Do you know if this also apply to `lldb` or is it `gdb` only specific? How do
you run `gdb` on macOS nowadays anyhow?