On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:27:09 GMT, Chris Plummer <cjplum...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> Can you explain a bit more how `@requires vm.flagless` works? The way I read
> it, that would indicate that the test should not be run if any flags are
> specified. I'm not sure why you would want to do that. I understand that the
> test itself launches a subprocess without passing on the flags, but I don't
> see why that would preclude running the test if any flags are specified.

Hi Chris,

sure, you have read it correctly -- `@requires vm.flagless` excludes a test
from execution if "any" flags are specified. there are two main reasons to do
that: a) a test is very sensitive to the testing configuration and nearly any
changes to the configuration render the test invalid; b) a test ignores all
external flags, hence running it w/ any is a waste and misleading. in the case
of this patch (as well as other sub-tasks of
[8246500](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8246500)), it's the latter.

you can read more about `vm.flagless` and the motivation in the main-main
[bug](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8151707) and/or the original
[discussion](https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-dev/2020-June/041981.html)
 on hotspot-dev.

Cheers,