On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 14:32:22 GMT, Alan Bateman <al...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Yes - the constructor would throw NPE - but there's no need to call this
>> constructor if `impl` is null here - it's better to fail early.
>
> This is probably a case where the spec needs say that an error (maybe an
> unspecified error) is thrown if the custom factory's createDatagramSocketImpl
> returns null. We can create a separate issue for that as it's probably
> existed forever.

@AlanBateman

`protected DatagramSocket(DatagramSocketImpl  impl)` throws NPE if `impl` is
`null`.
(this is covered by the blanket statement for NPE)

Do we really need to specify anything else since the global
`setDatagramSocketImplFactory` method has been deprecated? I mean - though we
still support it at the moment, using a `DatagramSocketImplFactory` is not
recommended, and hopefully only old legacy code would be using that.