> The JDWP spec mentions nothing about `DisableCollection` and
> `EnableCollection` tracking the depth or nesting of the commands. This means
> that `EnableCollection` should enable collection no matter how many
> `DisableCollection` commands were done before it. This is how the debug agent
> used to work before
> [JDK-8255987](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8255987). Now the
> commands' nesting level is tracked, meaning that if there are two
> `DisableCollection` commands, you need two `EnableCollection` commands to
> re-enable collection. This is contrary to what the spec says. Only one
> `EnableCollection` command should be needed to undo any number of
> `DisableCollection` commands.
>
> Note, JDWP differs from JDI here. The JDI spec explicitly says you need an
> enable for each disable in order to enable collection again. JDI tracks the
> disable count. Also, JDI only does the JDWP `DisableCollection` for the first
> disable, and only does the JDWP `EnableCollection` when the count goes back
> to 0. For this reason this JDWP bug cannot be reproduced by using JDI. You
> have to use JDWP directly. Unfortunately we have very limited direct testing
> of JDWP. JDWP testing mostly is done via JDI. What little JDWP testing we do
> have pretty much just verifies that reply packets are as expected. They don't
> verify VM or application behavior. For example, we have no JDWP test that
> tests that `DisableCollection` actually disables the collecting of the
> object. For this reason I have not added a test for this CR.
>
> Another issue is that support for `DisableCollection/EnableCollection`
> nesting was intermixed with the support for having `VM.Suspend` disable
> collection on all objects (which was the main purpose of
> [JDK-8255987](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8255987)). As a
> result, if you do a `VM.Suspend` and then do a `DisableCollection` on an
> `ObjectReference`, that object can now be collected, even though the spec
> says it should not be during a `VM.Suspend`. This issues is documented in
> [JDK-8258071](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8258071), and is also
> fixed by this PR.
>
> To fix both of these issues, `node->strongCount` should go back to being a
> boolean (`node->isStrong`) like it was before
> [JDK-8255987](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8255987). Also,
> separate flags should be maintained to indicate if the reference is strong
> due to a `DisableCollection` and/or due to `VM.Suspend`. We need a flag for
> each, because it's possible that both can be true at the same time. When
> `node->isStrong` is true, if there is an `EnableCollection` it only gets set
> false if there is no current `VM.Suspend`. Likewise was if `VM.Resume` is
> done, it only gets set false if there is no outstanding `DisableCollection`.
>
> There should be no need for maintaining a count anymore since we aren't
> [...]

Chris Plummer has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
commit since the last revision:

  Get rid of isStrong flag and instead just compute it based on the value of
isPinAll and isCommonPin. Add comments for some boolean args.

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/7134/files/f1a1177f..6046f5c0

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=7134&range=01