On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 14:27:45 GMT, Zhengyu Gu <z...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> There are scenarios that JDWP agent can deadlock on `classTrackLock` monitor.
> Following is the scenario in bug report.
>
> **Java Thread**
> -   loads a class and post `JVMTI_EVENT_CLASS_PREPARE` event
> - JDWP event callback handler calls `classTrack_processUnloads()` to handle
> the event.
> - `classTrack_processUnloads()` takes `classTrackLock` lock, then tries to
> allocate a new bag under the lock.
> - bag allocation code calls` jvmtiAllocate()`, which may be blocked by
> ongoing safepoint due to state transition.
>
> If the safepoint is GC safepoint (prior to JDK16) or `VM_JvmtiPostObjectFree`
>  safepoint (JDK16 or later)
>
> **VM Thread**
> - post `JVMTI_EVENT_OBJECT_FREE`
> - JDWP event callback handler calls `cbTrackingObjectFree()` to handle the
> event
> - `cbTrackingObjectFree()` tries to acquire `classTrackLock` lock, leads to
> deadlock
>
> From my research, there are three events that may be posted at safepoints,
> `JVMTI_EVENT_GARBAGE_COLLECTION_START`,
> `JVMTI_EVENT_GARBAGE_COLLECTION_FINISH` and  `JVMTI_EVENT_OBJECT_FREE`, but
> only  `JVMTI_EVENT_OBJECT_FREE` is relevant to JDWP agent.
>
> The solution I purpose here, is simply move allocation/deallocation code
> outside of `classTrackLock` lock.
>

> Test:
> - [x] tier1
> - [x] vmTestbase_nsk_jdi
> - [x] vmTestbase_nsk_jdwp
> - [x] vmTestbase_nsk_jvmti

Hi Zhengyu,

I don't think the fix is correct - see below.

src/jdk.jdwp.agent/share/native/libjdwp/classTrack.c line 100:

> 98:     struct bag* deleted = deletedSignatures;
> 99:     deletedSignatures = NULL;
> 100:     debugMonitorExit(classTrackLock);

This looks risky as the critical section is broken and the NULL deleted
signatures exposed. If `cbTrackingObjectFree` occurs while this is true then
you will lose the record of the deleted signature.

Alternatively you could allow for lock-free reading of `deletedSignatures`,
preemptively allocate a new bad if needed then take the lock. Or even use the
lock to read `deletedSignatures` to determine if a new bag is needed, then drop
the lock, create the bag, take the lock and re-check everything.

src/jdk.jdwp.agent/share/native/libjdwp/classTrack.c line 215:

> 213: classTrack_activate(JNIEnv *env)
> 214: {
> 215:     struct bag* new_bag = bagCreateBag(sizeof(char*), 1000);

I don't think there can be any race during activation but this change is
harmless.

src/jdk.jdwp.agent/share/native/libjdwp/classTrack.c line 240:

> 238:     if (deletedSignatures != NULL) {
> 239:         bagEnumerateOver(deletedSignatures, cleanDeleted, NULL);
> 240:         to_delete = deletedSignatures;

`cleanDeleted` also calls `jvmtiDeallocate`, so either both need to be outside
the lock or neither.

It is really unclear to me how many threads can be involved here and which
functions can be called when.

Changes requested by dholmes (Reviewer).