Hej Guillaume,

thanks for the quick reply :)

General remark: A newbie will prefer to use a GUI (CIMERO) to create the
config instead of manually hacking a XML. Problem: The GUI does not give any
hint "be aware you have to install missing libs". Either we shall add this
to the GUI or (better: and) we shall make SM giving error messages easier to
understand and more helpful, e.g. "Did you install the libs? See also
sm.org/troubleshooting" (especially the one for EIP is hard to map to a
missing lib as it does not say anything with "not found" or the like). I
have no idea whether the latter is possible at all, but it seems so, as we
know the type of the exception.

> For jbi components, the problem is related to the deployment model used.
> If you use a standard JBI packaging, you need to install the component,
> then deploy the SU.  Everything will work fine, as components are
> available in /components

At least I still run into issues to do so; not always, but too often to
assume a newbie can do that out of the box at the first try. CIMERO
deployment is broken (see other
http://www.nabble.com/CIMERO-Plugin-hints%2C-problems%2C-bugs-tf2376231.html
thread ) and I found no usable guide how to do my own hot deploy config -- a
URL to such a guide is much appreciated :)

> If you use a static deployment, where you configure the components
> inside the main servicemix.xml configuration file, these dependencies
> are not installed automatically.

of course

> And I think they should not, as the
> whole classloader hierachy would be messed.  So currently,
> you need to unzip the component installer and put the jars inside it
> in the /lib or /lib/optional folder.

Oh, I pointed out a completely different approach (M2_repro) at
http://goopen.org/confluence/display/SM30UG/3.+Installation#3.Installation-Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting . Maybe you wanna add the "clean" way for ServiceMix'
components (and how to know which are ServiceMix' components).

> If you take a look at the ws-notification
> example, this step is done by the ant file.

That's nice and fine for this single example - but sadly does not help for
the first tries to make an own config. And at least those docus
http://goopen.org/confluence/display/SM30UG/WS-Notification+Clustered
http://www.servicemix.org/site/ws-notification.html
http://www.servicemix.org/site/ws-notification-xmlbeans.html
do not tell a word about that, so it's hard to learn what dependencies are
and that they are installes by the ant task. README.txt tells the latter,
but not how to determine which dependencies are needed, so a newbie can make
an own test config.

Please don't get me wrong: I'm not aiming at critisizing the example or the
great work done so far. I'm just and only trying to show where newbies lack
information. As the user feedback request showed, for most users quality of
information is an issue -- and mainly the "why" and "where to get that
info?". For you and me, it's clear how to find out which lib contains which
missing class and where to find the lib, for newbies it's hard; they have to
ask on the list -- some don't dare to do so, others just say "shitty
project, does not work" and go away :-(

> For lightweight components, the servicemix-components.jar is available
> in /components/lib.  We do not ship all the libraries, for two reasons:
>   * it would mess the classloader hierachy
>   * there is such a big number of dependencies ... (20 Mo ?)
> Philip suggested a while back to ship two different versions of
> servicemix-lwcontainer, one without components  / dependencies
> (like the current one) and another one with the full dependencies set.
> However, the same problem would happen for static xml configuration.

Hm, so we'd have 4 versions and in the long run even more. Not nice to
maintain. And not nice for users as they don't know which one to choose.

What's about explicit {note} at
http://servicemix.goopen.org/site/quartz.html etc. that the components have
to be installed the static or dynamic way? I guess that will work, as most
people will look up the config example in the docu -- so they'll read the
note. And it allows to ship only one version. (sidenote: I'd prefer to
create one central page listing those notes and make the single exmaple
pages just refer to the central one using a central template or {excerpt})

Maybe we could provide a shell script (better, as not everyone has ant) or
ant task to create one of the "all in one" distros? That's easy to explain
in the docu and quick for the user and easy to maintain.

> I'd be glag to find solutions for these problems ...
> Thoughts ?

dito & dito ;)

Georg