Forwarding to the dev list ...

I think you may want to take a look at how the
JdbcAuditor, DotViewService or StatisticsService
are implemented.  They all inherit the o.a.s.jbi.management.BaseSystemService
abstract class.  They come in different flavous wrt configuration however.
I would recommend to look at the StatisticsService, which can be configured
that way:

  <sm:container ...>
    <sm:services>
      <sm:statistics .. />
    </sm:services>
  </sm:container>

This way, the service is automatically registered in JMX and has its own
lifecycle (which is tied to the container), so that you can stop / start the
service from jmx.