So if i understand you correctly, you are mostly concerned of enhancing
the JMS flow in the following areas:
  * avoid ping/pong and lower bandwidth requirement
      (avoid sending the whole exchange and only send the actual data)
  * enhance security (authentication, encryption ?)
* enhance the endoint registry wrt to services or instances going up and down

Did I catch you correcty ?

For the bandwidh requirement, I'm sure we can do that and reconstruct a fake exchange on the other side. We would loose informations wrt to the input message but I don't think this would be too much a problem. For the ping/ pong stuff, I'm sure we can find a way to optimize it somehow. We may have troubles handling the InOptionalOut pattern though, as you don't really know if you will receive an Out message or nothing, but for the other simple patterns (InOnly and InOut) it should be quite easy to send back the exchange with a DONE status just after having send
the jms message containing the In or Out.

On the security subject, I know there is lots to do, but this is an area i'm not so familiar with. My biggest concern is that we security can be applied at the connection level or at the message level. NMR-NMR security for the JMS flow could be delegated
to ActiveMQ i guess (using AMQ security features).

On the registry side, I think one of the main problem is that there is no way to tell the difference between an endpoint that goes down because the server is no more accessibe (it will be up again at a later time) or because the endpoint has been undeployed. Imho, this is a key requirement to be able to make routing decisions. I don't know yet how to handle this problem: if a server has been shutdown, it may
never go up again... So i'm still not sure how to handle the problem :-(

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet