Hi,

I am very close to rolling out an upgrade to a site using installer/
buildout from an older version and need a bit of help on configuring my
environment.

Currently, the site has 4 zope clients with one zeo server and is fronted by
Apache. It is running on a OSX server.

The clients run on ports 8081,8082,8082 & 8084

The relevant portions in httpd.conf Apache config file (that seem to be
specific to my setup) are:
====================
<Proxy Balancer://lb>
  BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8081
  BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8082
  BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8083
  BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8084
</Proxy>

ProxyRequests Off
CacheEnable disk /
CacheRoot "/opt/local/apache2/cache"
ProxyPass /BTX
balancer://lb/VirtualHostBase/http/intranet:80/BTX/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_BTX
ProxyPassReverse /BTX
balancer://lb/VirtualHostBase/http/intranet:80/BTX/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_BTX
CacheDirLength 2
CacheLastModifiedFactor 0.1
CacheDefaultExpire 1

ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault A60
ExpiresByType image/bmp A3600
ExpiresByType image/gif A3600
ExpiresByType image/ief A3600
ExpiresByType image/jpeg A3600
ExpiresByType image/png A3600
ExpiresByType image/tiff A3600
ExpiresByType image/x-cmu-raster A3600
ExpiresByType image/x-portable-anymap A3600
ExpiresByType image/x-portable-bitmap A3600
ExpiresByType image/x-portable-graymap A3600
ExpiresByType image/x-portable-pixmap A3600
ExpiresByType image/x-rgb  A3600
ExpiresByType image/x-xbitmap A3600
ExpiresByType image/x-xpixmap A3600
ExpiresByType image/x-xwindowdump A3600
ExpiresByType audio/basic A3600
ExpiresByType audio/midi A3600
ExpiresByType audio/mpeg A3600
ExpiresByType audio/x-aiff A3600
ExpiresByType audio/x-pn-realaudio A3600
ExpiresByType audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin A3600
ExpiresByType audio/x-realaudio A3600
ExpiresByType audio/x-wav A3600
ExpiresByType video/mpeg A3600
ExpiresByType video/quicktime A3600
ExpiresByType video/x-msvideo A3600
ExpiresByType video/x-sgi-movie A3600
ExpiresByType text/css A3600
ExpiresByType text/javascript A3600
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript A3600
ExpiresByType text/html A3600
ExpiresByType text/xml A3600

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/$ /BTX/ [R]
RewriteRule ^/BTI(/)?$ /BTX/ [R]
=========================

>From this I'm surmising that Apache is handling load balancing across my
clients and also the rewrite rules so my Varnish would, I guess, be
behind(?) Apache

However, with this installation, I would like to also install Varnish using
the recipe at :

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plone.recipe.varnish

I will be running the upgraded site on ports 8091,8092,8093 & 8094 (Zeo
address on 8101) which, obviously I will be configuring in my buildout.

Am I right in thinking that I once I have amended my Apache Load Balancing
ports appropriately (to 8091,8092,8093 & 8094) , I need to amend my varnish
recipe to read thus:

[varnish-instance]
backends =
  /VirtualHostBase/http/intranet:80/BTX:127.0.0.1:8000

Start Varnish and set up CacheFu with my caching policies?

...or have I misunderstood? (This is all alien territory for me, as you may
have already grasped!)