To update the list:

> What happens if you compile Python from its source and
> use that one to build Plone?

This makes a functional Plone instance (standalone was all I tested) that
appears to be working correctly from the quick testing that I have performed to
this point.  I d/l and compiled Version 2.6.6 from python.org.  I did not
change the configuration at all, just performed a configure, make, make
install.  There were a total of 5 errors when running make test that I have
ignored for now.  I let the Plone build create the PIL.  I assume at this point
there must be an issue with the python 2.6.5 port in OpenBSD 4.8-stable.  I'm
going to put a post together to submit in their ports mailing list.

Thank you Raphael for the suggestion.

Roger