To: <setup@lists.plone.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Setup] Multiple Plone sites in development and deployment

(,,,)

Standard procedure is to have two buildout files like: production.cfg and staging.cfg that extend your main buildout file. These files will have the settings for your zeo and zope instances. They will be basically the same, but with the servers running on different ports. Install the production and staging instances in separate directories.

I've got a script that copies the ZODB file and the blob directories from production to staging so that I can test new things on a recent copy of the production site.

I like keeping my production and staging environments separate like this. I can delete the staging instance without harming the production site.

There's not too much overhead with this method. You just have to update your buildout from SVN when you make changes, then run your buildout...

Does that help?

--
Larry Pitcher
Catapult Solutions