Jeremy Stagg wrote:

> I'm more interested in Microsoft and Novell's reaction.

I'm not - not really interested in *anything* MS have to say! ;)

IMHO selling to IBM would've been disastrous for Sun.  It'll be interesting to
see what happens to MySQL, Star Office
(OOo) and xVM.  I doubt MySQL will die as it's open source.

What the deal does mean is that customers can get hardware, O/S and DBMS all
from the same company and expect it all to
work seamlessly.  It avoids the situation where, when something goes wrong,
individual suppliers point the finger at
everyone else.

I think Sun has a fantastic product line and would hope that would continue.  I
once described ZFS as "the best thing
since sliced bread" to our account manager....I hadn't seen Sun Ray at that
point! :)

--
Paul Walsh