Yep.  The 568/523 actually separated the side to side movement from the
fore/aft movement of the shifter.  So instead of one lever on the
transaxle there's two.  Makes the shifting better.  It wouldn't be very
hard to convert it to use l-body shift linkage, just would need maybe to
build a new pivot arm for the side to side movement.  I might look into
that with the 523 I've got in my shop.

I've actually got a prototype set of brackets built to make the 520/555
transaxle a bolt-in affair.  No futzing with the linkage or cable
shifters, etc.  Just bolt the new bracket up, drop your stock linkage
into place and add the proper axles.  The dogbone is in the proper
place, etc.  I might consider selling them along with my improved shift
linkage setup (rod ends and bronze bushings).  I need to finish testing
it first, which means getting the Rampage back together with the 2.2 CB,
the sidedraft TWM throttle bodies and Megasquirt EFI.  Should be a fun
autocrosser when I'm finished later this winter.

Best Regards,
Stefan Mullikin
Portland, OR
Co-Founder