I have read in several places that Chrysler had some Daytona "mules"
running around Detroit back in the day that were powered by the 3.3.  It
was supposed to be an optional engine for the last two model years of
Daytona production.  This, of course, is pure conjecture at this point.
I have not personally seen any real evidence of this except one item of
interest.  I was an engineer at Chrysler in the early nineties.  I had
access to the Chrysler "vault" of software for programming EEPROMS for
engine and transmission controllers.  Among the few interesting files
there were a 2.5 Turbo II (North American), a 3.3 (G body), 3.3 Shelby
Can Am, Dakota 2.5 Turbo I, and a few others.  I sure wish I had
downloaded these files back then.  Of course, it would have jeopardized
my job.  But, looking back - it was right there.  I am sure all of it
still exists somewhere.

I would personally love to have a 3.8 with a five speed in a Daytona or
Shadow.  I saw the 3.3 Can Am cars run once at a track and they were
really impressive.  This, at least to me, would be much more desirable
than a twin engine setup, as I still use my Turbo Dodges for daily duty.

Greg K. Cooper

Huntsville, Alabama