i agree with bryan on killing your alternator when jumping off a dead
battery.

most people think an alternator will eventually recharge a dead battery. this
is simply not the case, an alternator will not fully recharge a dead battery.
most people get this thinking from when cars used generators and not
alternators. a generator uses permanent magnets in it and when rotated will produce an
electrical charge all by itself (self exciting). a car with a dead battery
and a generator for a charging device when jumpered off will eventually recharge
a dead battery. these old cars that used generators also had heavy duty
mechanical point type voltage regulators with vibrating contactors, and usually had
tungsten or platinum irridium contacts.

an alternator on the other hand requires some sort of initial electrical
charge or stimulus running thru the coil to get it to start working. the
alternators in our cars use a solid state full wave rectifier , with a solid state
voltage regulator set up in them. these alternators are designed to top off a good
battery after you start your car, come on line and off line periodically as
your electrical load increases or decreases during driving. your solid state
regulator in the unit will do this as the battery voltage drops below a certain
pre determined level. a solid state regulator is not designed to run
continuously. which is what it would be doing if you jumpered off a TD or any other
alternator equipped car with a dead battery.

the regulator would see the battery as having mebbe a residual 9V and would
keep its solid state contactor closed to try to get the battery to a state of
13.5V you can see that this would burn it out. if not the first time you do it
eventually it will burn out from this type of abuse.

an alternator is designed to only maintain a 13.5V charge in a battery, top
the battery off after you start your car, and maintain it in a topped off
condition while you are driving and using your accessories.

my wife used to own a nissan sentra, we were coming back to abilene texas
from little rock arkansas on a sunday afternoon and the battery lost one of its
cells about 100 miles from home. the alternators solid state regulator kept its
contacts closed trying to fill the wounded battery up. by the time we got
home i had to put in a new battery and a new alternator.

hope this helps
mat