I am planning on working the shifter connection on my A525 Omni GLHT
this weekend.  I purchased the heim joints and hardware needed for the
job.  I have a spare set of shift rods which I have already threaded
with 3/8-24.  I plan on using the stock set of rods in the car for
length and alignment purposes.

The engine and transmission are still in the car.  I am planning on
removing the long shifter connecting rod, the rear transmission mount
dogbone, and rod pivot point bracket.  That will get me three of the
five balls out of the car to work on, on the bench.  The remaining two
balls are connected to the shifter housing on the transmission.  I am
a little concerned about getting these last two balls out.

This area is very difficult to work at.  Is it possible to remove the
bracketry from the transmission shift housing that contains the
remaining two balls?   The job looks pretty much impossible to drill
out while in the car.

I also understand that these balls are probably heat treated and very
hard.  I was planning on drilling through them with a 3/8 inch drill
from the back side.

Does anyone have any last advice?  What are your thoughts on using
nylon or rubber washers to reduced vibration transmission to the
shifter in the car?

Thanks to everyone for their help.  Special thanks to Stefan and his
fabrication photos page.