Finally, a problem I might be able to help with.  I've done a few timing
belts on these in my time, and the symptoms you describe are usually
caused by missing a tooth on either the intermediate shaft or camshaft
sprockets.  This would make your ignition timing, cam timing or both way
out of spec in relation to the crank. Many times they will idle fine
with the timings all out of whack like this, but produce little power.
I'll bet you an anchovy pizza that this is the problem.

tim