I don't recall that article, so it must have been before my time.  I
don't know whether you are talking about converting to the Nippendenso
alternator though.  That is what I did on my 86 GLHT and the only
other thing needed (besides the alternator) was the lower mount and
adjuster from an 88 & up car.  I had to trim some of the plastic
insulator on the big lead as it couldn't be bolted on as it was (what
needs to be trimmed off is very apparent).

To select the alternator to use, I just went to a discount auto parts
store and bought one off the shelf.  I did my first pass of selection
in the book to get the model numbers used on the later cars, and then
I started opening boxes till I found one with the same number of
grooves in the belt pulley.  It was easy.

Barry