other automotive magazines and books I came across a mini book about the most
useless cars in automotive history titled "Crap Cars" by Richard Porter.

They listed the top 50 of what the author believed to be the worst cars of
recent history. I wouldn't disagree with some of their choices but what
annoyed me is some of the front wheel drive Mopars included amongst this
collection. Three of these ones picked stood out the most and don't deserve
the "crap car" label.

First off the early 1980's K cars (Aries, 600, LeBaron) were mentioned as the
#23 choice. While in most cases I agree they weren't very exciting but they
served an important chapter in Chrysler history and were pretty sound
mechanically since I still see a number of them putting in daily driver
service on the road today. The also helped bring the convertible back to the
American automotive market.

Their #29 selection was the Chrysler TC By Maserati. With the blending of two
completely different cultures, work attitudes & automotive design principles
this vehicle should have a more respected place in Chrysler history. It did
bring about one of the impressive versions ever of a 16v head ever made for
the 2.2 engine.

The last one (picked as a #4) I disagreed with the most. They selected the
1982-84 Dodge Rampage. While I do believe they never achieved their full
potential I've always felt that they always have been ahead of their time.

The mini pickup movement was just getting started and at the time the others
were budget based imports that only had base model interiors & no overall
sense of sportiness or style. Remember the hideous VW (Rabbit based)
Sportruck?

If they stuck with the FWD truck idea or better yet debuted it a few years
later with a Shelbyized performance package like a turbo 2.2 option and
factory installed ground effects package like the Shelby Charger it would have
been much more respected & remembered today. Anyone driving a well restored
(or customized) one today sees just how much positive feedback and attention
they get.

David Salamone
Positive Impressions
PO Box 441761