David,
I have seen this quite a few times working at the dealer and everyone broke
in the same exact place, between the intake and exhaust lobe of the #1
cylinder.

While I haven't seen it in a few years because of the decline of the 2.2 and
2.5 powered cars every once and a while it will pop up.

A cam swap was all that was needed and the cars went back on the road. The
first one got a new cam but after that they would come to me for a deal on a
used cam for the car. You don't even need to change the followers, just the cam
and you on your way.

Hope this helps.

Cliff Ramsdell