First thing I would do is open up the bottom of that engine, with a plan to at minimum replace the pan and pickup. If the balance shafts are out of the motor I would try to get a pan and pickup from a commonblock 2.2l. (these can generally be found in later modem 92/93 base P bodies) and actually I'd also want to double check that the balance shaft feed hole was properly plugged.

Even if the balance shafts were removed, 5 quarts of oil in a 2.5 pan w/o balance shafts should still be WAY more than sufficient to submerge the pickup.

If I wanted to do it right, I might also replace the O ring at the top of the pickup tube and pull the oil pump to re-do the anaerobic sealer where the pump meets the block to make sure there are no leaks there. If you want to get some performance benefit out of all this work, you could pull the balance shafts while you're in there, portmatch the oil feed hole in the block (round) to match the oval output hole on the pump, and open up the bottom of the pickup tube.

Dave Robinson