Use a cherry picker with an engine tilting attachment.

Remove the A/C compressor, leave the lines connected and simply set it aside.
Bungy to the side of the front quarter panel.

Remove the front pulleys from the engine.

Disconnect the wiring for the front and rear of the engine by the battery tray.

Disconnect the clutch, shift and throttle cables.

Remove the power steering pump and set aside.

Disconnect the exhaust at the turbo.  Go ahead and break the bolts off, they
are cheap to replace.

Remove the front axles, make sure to do one side at a time and be ready with a
drain pan.

Remove the plug for the bolt that holds driver's side mount (behind the strut)

Remove the front and rear motor mount (including the front frame bracket, make
note of which way it is supposed to go on)

I attach the engine tilter to the engine at the front corner where the A/C
bracket bolts to the head and at the rear corner above the starter (or on the
transaxle)

Connect the tilter to the cherry picker.

Use the picker to take the weight off the remaining mounts and remove their
bolts.  Be careful to not lose the washers/spacers under the passenger side
mount.

Use the tilter to tip the drivetrain, driver-side down.  You'll likely have to
watch the rear motor mount on the K-frame as it gets hung up quite often.

Once the driver's mount is clear, lift the motor slightly and bring it forward
and to the right to clear the frame rails.

It helps to have a helper watching the drive-train to make sure nothing else is
in the way.

Always go slowly and watch you're doing.

Start lifting the boom to pull the drive-train out.

Watch the clearance on the hood as you get near the top.

When you run out of room to lift with the picker, level the drivetrain out and
pull it forward out of the bay while slowly raising the boom.

If all goes well, you should have just enough room to squeak everything out
without removing the hood.  Worst case, you'll have to lift the hood an inch or
two to clear the hood latch, etc.  I've used straps tied to the trunk to lift
the hood enough to take up the slack in the hood hinges.

Once out, lower the drive-train to make it easier to move it around the garage,
etc.  4-wheeled furniture dolly's and some 2x4 spacers on a small sheet of
plywood make a great solution for storing/moving the motor.

If you do this enough you can get this down to a few hours start to finish.
The trick is figuring out the fast way to remove the axles without damaging
anything.

Good luck!
Stefan Mullikin
Portland, OR
PNW-SDAC Founding Member
1979 Porsche 924 (Carrera GTS Replica and GRM $2007 Challenger)
1980 Fiat X-1/9 (never ending 2.2 turbo swap)
1987 Plymouth Sundance Turbo (Daily Driver)
1987 Shelby CSX #106

From: robert long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>