Hi Mac,

I am not sure what to make of "see the car", but it could mean that the
engine controller does not see the body controller.  Check to make sure
the body controller is plugged in well.  ????

I have a thought about the diagnostic codes.  If you do the key
on-off-on-off-on and count the blinks of the check engine light, it
should count out the same codes you noted below (in fact, this might be
the method you used).  I am willing to bet that you have 2 codes, not
three numbers:

12 - this is the normal start code.  It does not indicate any problems,
and you will always get it (at least I have always gotten it)
55 - this is End Of Codes.

If these are the two codes you get, it means that the computer does not
see any faults.  If this is really the case, then it's time to back up
and do some more basic checking (do you have gas?  spark? timing set
right?).

I don't know if any of this was helpful, but I hope it was.  Best of luck!