To perform Tawaf (circumambulation) on behalf of
Imam (a.s.) or to send someone for performing tawaf on
his behalf

When we have proved that tawaf on behalf of Imam
(a.s.) is Mustahab (recommended) then it is understood that
sending someone in lieu of Imam (a.s.) would also be
Mustahab. Because this is a result of friendship and
gratefulness. Therefore its merit and goodness is proved by
reason. To send a person for Hajj as a proxy on behalf of
Imam (a.s.) is naturally more rewarding than sending a
31
person to perform a tawaf.
However, there are some particular actions that are
specially recommended (Mustahab) on behalf of the Living
Imam (a.s.). The same are mentioned in the book of Al-Kafi
in a tradition of Imam Taqi (a.s.) reported by Moosa bin
al-Qasim. The narrator says that he asked Imam (a.s.), "I
wanted to perform tawaf on behalf of you and your
forefathers (a.s.) but people said that tawaf was not
permitted on behalf of the successors (awsiya)?"
Imam (a.s.), "Rather, you must do as many tawafs as
possible."
The narrator says that after a period of three years, again
he came to Imam (a.s.) and said, "I had previously obtained
permission from you to perform Tawaf on behalf of you and
your father. After this I performed as many tawafs as Allah
willed for me on behalf of you and your respected father.
After this I had an idea!"
"What was it?" asked Imam (a.s.),
"One day one I performed tawaf on behalf of the
Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.s.)."
Imam (a.s.) recited Salawat on the Holy Prophet
(s.a.w.s.) thrice. The narrator continued, "On the second
day I performed tawaf in lieu of Amirul Momneen (a.s.),
then for Imam Hasan al-Mujtaba (a.s.), Imam Husain (a.s.),
Imam Sajjad (a.s.), Imam Baqir (a.s.), Imam Sadiq (a.s.), on
the eight day I performed it on behalf of your grandfather
Imam Moosa al-Kazim (a.s.).
On the ninth day for your respected father Imam Reza
(a.s.) and on the tenth day I had the fortune of performing
tawaf of your respected self. (a.s.). I worship Allah through
the wilayat of these personalities."
Imam (a.s.) said, "By Allah! You are worshipping Allah
through a religion (din) other than which Allah will not
except any din."
The narrator said, "Often I have performed tawaf on
behalf of your respected grandmother, Fatemah Zahra (s.a.)
and sometimes I didn't do it."
Imam (a.s.) said, "Do more tawaf! If Allah wills it will
be the best action performed by you."
(Furu Al-Kafi Vol. 4 Pg. 316)