Destruction of Historical Sites in Makkah & Medina - The Cradle of Islam
Yet Muslim Ummah Remain Silent!!!!!
Q. WHY?

The Saudis are now set on unprecedented onslaught of demolishing the birthplace
of Prophet Muhammad and other historical structures in the heart of Mecca and
Medina, the cradle of Islam, revered by the world's 1.5 billion Muslims. Over
the last two decades most of Makkah's 1000-year-old historic sites have been
bulldozed and replaced by hotels and other concrete jungles. Failure to protect
them from destruction is the biggest tragedy for the Islamic architectural
heritage. The Saudi royal family claims to be guardians of the holy places of
Islam, and profit hugely from the centuries by visiting believers to Makkah and
Medina for pilgrimage.  And yet, they are party to this barbaric desecration of
the holiest sites in the Islamic world.

Today, the religious zealots in Saudi Arabia are not alone. Commercial
developers such as Bin Laden Group have joined hands with them and are making
hundreds of millions in profits as they build ugly, but lucrative high-rises
that are shadowing the Grand Mosque know as the Kaaba. Today Saudi petrodollars
have the ability to silence even its most vocal critics, but when all is said
and done, history will render a harsh judgment on those who try to wipe out its
footprints and steal the heritage of all humanity.

The problem is the Saudi's interpretation of Islam; they are opposed to the
preservation of the old historic structures due to belief that some Muslims in
their ignorance would be overcome with love and awe that historic sites may
invoke, leading to idolatrous thoughts.  Destruction of the most precious sites
in Islam for fear of idolatry by some is like killing a child for fear that he
may grow up to be less than pious. In effect, behind the obsessive fear of
idolatry lies a complete lack of understanding and total fanaticism of radical
Islam, unable even to appreciate its own past.

What is the reason for this silence: "Is it because so called Muslim nations
have become so overwhelmed by the power of the Saudi denial of Visas for
Pilgrimage (Hajj), that we have lost all courage and self-respect?  Or is it
because we feel a need to cover up Muslim-on-Muslim violence; Muslim-on-Muslim
terror; Muslim-on-Muslim oppression?

We Muslims constantly rally against any wrongs inflicted on fellow-Muslims by
non-believers, but hold our silence when Muslims kill, exploit and terrorize
other Muslims. Thus, when the Americans kill Iraqis, or the Russians persecute
Chechens; we are rightly offended and resentful. But when Saddam Hussein
massacred Kurds and Shias for years, Muslims around the world maintained a
discreet silence.  So why this conspiracy of silence? Thousands demonstrated
against the desecration of the Holy Book Quran at Guantanam and in USA and
thousands complained at the remark by Congressman Tom Tancredo of Colorado,
referring to Makkah and Medina when he said "If there is another 9/11 we should
take out their holy places," Where are those zealots now? Why aren't preachers
at mosques demanding that the Saudi government halt their destructive plans?
Alas, these double standards are what now define the Muslim Community. We have
become completely neutered when it
 comes to criticizing other Muslims. This is not of washing our dirty linen in
public but this is the time to self-analyze and self-criticize and these things
need to be said out loud, clear and often.

Saudi Arabia, in which Wahhabism is the state form of Islam, has a long history
of vandalizing and demolishing historical monuments. Cultural devastation of
Islamic heritage sites is not a new phenomenon. In 1801 the Saudis-Wahabbis
waged a campaign against the Shia Muslim destroying and defacing the sacred
tomb of the Imam Hussein in Karbala, Iraq. Then in early 1920 Saudi rulers
Aal-e-Sa'ud bulldozed and levelled a graveyard in Medina - Cemetery of Al-Baqee
- and Jannatul Moualla - in the holy city of Makkah that housed the shrines of
the holy Prophet Muhammad, his family and his companions. This anniversary
falls Sept 18/19th, (8th Shawal 1426) and is Know as Yaum-e-Ghum - The Day of
Grief for Muslims.

The Saudis followed their conquest of Mecca and Medina in the mid-1920s with an
orgy of destruction. They levelled the "Jannat al-Baqi" or "Heavenly Orchard"
at Medina that included graves of the Prophet Muhammad's son Abraham, as well
as numerous of the Prophet's relatives and  companions. They also looted the
Prophet's Shrine in Medina and demolished the cemetery in Makkah that included
the graves of Muhammad's mother and grandfather. They completely destroyed
mausoleums, mosques, and other honoured sites, including Muhammad's own house.
It was even said that they wished to uproot the grave of Muhammad himself and
tear down the Kaaba, the stone temple at the centre of Mecca.  They were
prevented from this last act by pressure from Muslims around the world.
Wahabism vandalism continues today, by levelling of five of seven mosques built
in the city Makkah & Medina by Muhammad's daughter and four of his
companions. These structures are the Mosque of
 Sayyida Fatima bint Rasulillah, Salman al-Farsi Mosque and Mosque of Ali ibn
Abi Talib a.s. and many others.  Wahhabism is not about faith, but about power
and nothing better illustrates the power of the state, in the mind of the Saudi
rulers, than the desecration of holy places--including Islamic sites dating
from the time of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh himself.

My pain is what type of opium we Muslim masses are on anyway?  What will it
take to shake our deep slumber?  We Muslims should be in no doubt that acts of
terrorism do not speak for Islam, and that the perpetrators will get no shelter
and no moral support from the people who love God (Allah). Today, Islam needs
to find the resources within it to combat extremism. More importantly, the
moment has come to shift our the struggle to warn the West about jihadism and
campaign to organize mainstream, traditional Muslims, throughout the world, for
the liberation of our communities and our faith from the grip of corrupt rulers
- whether in Saudi Arabia, or elsewhere throughout the Arab and Muslim
worlds.  What is all more disturbing is that the so called Muslim Nations
around the world (except only Iran) continue to remain silent at the
desecration of our Holy sites.

Question
TODAY WILL WE EVEN HAVE TIME & COURAGE TO WRITE JUST ONE LETTER/E-MAIL TO SAUDI
AUTHORITIES
TO CONDEMN THEM FOR THEIR ACTIONS AND ASK THEM TO RE-BUILD THESE HOLY PLACES?
I very much doubt - but then, WHO KNOWS!
 After the so called spiritual awakening from Month of Ramadhan & Nights of
Qa'dr, we may possibly do it!!!!!

Sincerely,
Take Care  &
Mohamedhusein G. F. Somji
Let us Remember Each-Other in our Duas.
Let us pray for all our Departed Ones.

*I am just forwarding an email created by someone else. I do not claim this as
my property. *
*If it belongs to you - consider it an honor that I thought your email was
worthy enough to forward on. *
*No copyright infringement intended!  & No vulgarity is intended.*
*Something u don't like use the delete key and move on! *