Significance of Arba'een and the Performance of the Ziyarat of Arba'een:
Imam Hasan Al-Askari (a.s.) includes the  performance of Ziyarat-e-Arba’een  as
one of the five marks for a  believer, in addition to reciting 51  raka of
sala, audible  recitation of Bismillah, wearing a ring on one’s right hand, and
doing sajda on dust.  (This hadith has been narrated by Sheikh  Tusi in the
book Tahthib). Why is so  much importance given to the performance of the
Ziyarat of Arba’een and the observance of Arba’een (40 days of mourning)?
Ziyarat, as we all know is a visitation, which  in essence, is the act of
speaking with and visiting our role  models.  Of course the physical
manifestation of the ziyarat is  actually being present in Kerbala to perform
the Ziyarat of  Arba’een, but, in reality, that is not possible for every
believer.  So does making ziyarat while not in Kerbala give one  the same
benefits?  Ahadith tell us that performing the Ziyarat  of Imam Hussain (a.s. )
far from Kerbala would hold the same
 significance as being in the land of  Kerbala, as long as the  person
performing the Ziyarat has truly understood the status of  the Imam and seeks
to emulate him. Imam Muhamed al-Baqir (a.s.) states that the  heavens wept over
Imam  Hussain (a.s.) for forty mornings, rising  red and setting red.  As we
complete 40  days of remembrance of  our Imam, we re-assert our pledge  of
obedience and loyalty to  him, “I bear witness that you are the Imam (who  is)
the upright, the pious, well- pleased (with Allah), the pure,  the guide and
the rightly-guided. I bear witness that you fulfilled the  pledge of Allah and
you struggled in  His way…I am a friend of  whoever befriends him ...” By
performing the Ziyarat of Arba’een, we  pledge that we will continue to  follow
the path of justice and  righteousness and will reject injustice and  speak up
against the  oppressors of the time, I am an enemy of whoever is his enemy In
essence, we make a promise to
 continue to  mold our lives according to  the teaching of Imam Hussain
(a.s.).  But why is it that we mourn and remember Imam  Hussain (a.s.) for a
period of forty days and then move on?  Our Prophet has said, “The earth mourns
the  death of a believer for forty  mornings.”   Therefore it appears  that the
deceased should be  remembered and mourned over for a  period of forty days.
Performing an  act for a continuous period  of forty days is also known to help
one to not  just form a  habit, but also to carry on the practice for the rest
of his  life.  If we look at studies dealing with bringing a  lifestyle change,
we notice the time period emphasized to bring  about a change is usually 6
weeks which  is about the same time  period as 40  days (to be exact it is 42
days). In the book  40  Days to Personal Revolution:  A Breakthrough Program to
 Radically Change Your Body and Awaken  the Sacred Within Your Soul , the
author Baron Baptiste
  explains the significance of forty days: Why forty days? Because the number
40  holds tremendous spiritual  significance in the realm of  transformation.
Jesus wandered in the desert  for forty days in  order to experience
purification and come to a greater understanding of himself and his mission.
Moses and his people  traveled  through the desert for forty years before
arriving at  their home in the  holy land. Noah preserved the sacredness of
life by sailing his ark for forty days and forty nights.  According to the
Kabbalah, the ancient Jewish  mystical text, it  takes forty days to ingrain
any new way of being into our system…. Reciting particular duas for a period of
40  days is highly recommended in  our practices as well.   The unit  40 (
forty)   is said to be very effective. If a particular Duaa is  recited  40
times , or  40  people  gather  to recite it, or it is recited for  40  days
then  its effectiveness is highly increased.
 (Duas.org) It is reported from Imam Ja'fer Sadiq (a.s.)  that whoever recites
Dua-e-Ahad for forty days, after morning  prayers will be amongst the helpers
of the  12 th Imam (a).  Visitation of the shrine of Imam Hussain (a.s.) as
well as Masjid-e-Sahla for 40  consecutive Thursdays is also very highly
recommended and is one of the acts that promises a visit from  the 12 th  Imam
(ajtf). Thus, as we perform the Ziyarat of Arba’een  and commemorate the Arba’
een, 40  days of mourning of Imam  Hussain (a.s.), we hope and pray that  this
forty days of  remembrance of Imam Hussain (a.s.), brings about a
transformation in us by which we can continue to follow the path  of Imam
Hussain (a.s.) and carry on his message of upholding  justice with true faith
and a strong sense of sacrifice! Refs:  A’maal of Muharram and Safar (Tayyiba
Publishers) Kerbala and Beyond by Yasin T. Al-Jabouri The Miracle of
Ziyarat-e-Ashoora  Commentary on Ziyarat Ashura,
 translated by Saleem Bhimji from  the work of Ali Asghar Azizi Tehrani Kitab
al-Irshad, translated by IKA Howard, authored by Shei