With salams and  duas,
Sheikh Fazle Abbas  Datoo
_residenta...@almahdi.org.uk_ (mailto:residenta...@almahdi.org.uk)
Resident  Alim
Wessex Shia Ithna Asheri  Jamaat
 (mip://07edc710/)
Masjid  request saves walk-out councillor’s role
Cllr  Malcolm Hey
By _Rory O’Keeffe_ (mailto:rory.okee...@thenews.co.uk)
Published on Sat  Jan 29 11:00:00 GMT 2011
A LETTER  from a Muslim group has saved the position of a councillor who
walked out of a  meeting to avoid an Islamic prayer.
An  emergency meeting was held yesterday to consider removing Councillor
Malcolm Hey  from the city council’s religious education panel.
It comes  after the Tory walked out of the council chamber on Tuesday, to
avoid a prayer  said by Imam Sheikh Fazle Abbas Datoo.
But he  has kept his position on the Standing Advisory Council for
Religious Education  (Sacre) after a last-minute plea from the President of
Wessex
Jamaat, Roshan  Gangji.
He wrote  to education boss, Cllr Terry Hall, saying that he should be  ‘
forgiven’.
In his  letter he said: ‘We have a responsibility to each other.
‘What has  happened is at best an aberration and we need to give thought to
create space  for deeper understanding.
‘We need  to ponder whether suspension will create a change of attitude. I
very much doubt  it.
‘I humbly  request to consider what Jesus and Prophet Muhammad would do.
‘Show  compassion and forgive the aberration.
‘I  request he take time out to reflect.
‘The  cabinet could ask he meets with other faith leaders in the community
and share a  meal.’
Cllr Hall  said she called the meeting after concern from the public about
his role with  Sacre, and whether his beliefs conflicted with the views of
the  council.
She  added: ‘I’m mindful of the letter from the Jamaat, so despite
community concern  I recommend Cllr Hey not be suspended.
‘I hope  he’ll take the opportunity to reflect.
‘We’ll  forward him the Jamaat’s letter, and tell him if he leaves prayers
in future,  consideration will be given to removing him from  Sacre.’
Sacre  includes members of religions, teaching staff, and representatives
of Portsmouth  City Council.
It guides  religious education in city schools.
Cllr Hey  still insisted he hadn’t done anything wrong, but admitted he
thought he would  be taken off the panel.
He told  The  News: ‘The Jamaat has been gracious in its attitude. I’m
grateful. I don’t feel I was wrong, but I expected to be removed from  Sacre.’

‘I will  stay on it, as I hope I make a contribution to it.’