Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:27:39 -0700
From: abufizza2...@yahoo.com
Subject: Iran is top of the world in science growth
To: abufizza2...@yahoo.com

http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/article/dn20291-iran-is-top-of-the-world-in-science-growth.html

Iran is top of the world in science growth

22:00 28 March 2011 by Andy Coghlan

Which country's scientific output rose 18-fold between 1996 and 2008, from 736
published papers to 13,238? The answer – Iran – might surprise many people,
especially in the western nations used to leading science. Iran has the fastest
rate of increase in scientific publication in the world.
And if political relations between Iran and the US are strained, it seems that
the two countries' scientists are getting on fine: the number of collaborative
papers between them rose almost fivefold from 388 to 1831 over the same period.
A rapid rise in Middle Eastern, Chinese, Indian and Brazilian science stands
out from a report published this week by the UK's Royal Society, comparing
global publication and citation rates between 1993 and 2003 with those between
2004 and 2008. Like Iran, other, smaller players are also stepping up their
research activity. Turkey, for example, quadrupled its output between 1996 and
2008, after increasing sixfold its funding for R&D. Similar trends emerged in
Tunisia, Singapore and Qatar.
On the broader scientific stage, the established leaders in the US, Europe and
Japan still dominate, but their ascendency is being eroded by rapidly
industrialising countries. So while the proportion of papers with US authors
has slipped from 26 to 21 per cent, China has risen from sixth to second place
with 10.2 per cent of the authored papers, up from 4.4 per cent in 1996. India
and Brazil are rising rapidly too.
"The leading nations are not getting weaker," says Chris Llewellyn Smith, chair
of the panel that produced the study. "Rather, I would say we're seeing a rise
in other nations into the big league," he says.
Marking the growth of science as a global enterprise to solve global problems,
Llewellyn Smith says that collaborative papers have risen from a quarter to
more than a third of all papers published. "To solve a global problem, you need
data from all round the world, and this helps to unify the scientific voice
geographically," he says. "So I think we can all benefit from this, to solve
global problems."