*
**
*
*Hazrat Hurr a.s in Karbala.*

When we hear the words of the grief stricken story of Karbala, many names
come to mind, names of those who laid their lives for the preservation of
Islam. There are the more prominent martyrs, such as Hazrat Qasim (AS)
Hazrat Abbas (AS) and Hazrat Ali Akbar (AS).  Prominent because there were
the men from the family of the Holy Prophet (SAW) and it was not entirely
surprising that they gave their lives for Islam. Then there were those
friends of Imam (AS) who travelled to Karbala to fight Yazeed’s armies in
defence of Imam Husayn (AS).  These were people like Habib ibne Mazaher (AS)
and Muslim Bin Osajah.

But something astounding happened on the eve of Ashura, the 10th of
Muharram.  I would like to focus briefly on Hur ibne Riyahee -Yarbu’I (AS).
He was a commander in the Kufa army who had intercepted the course of Imam’s
caravan and forced the caravan to stop at Karbala, the spot at which Imam
would be martyred along with 18 Banu Hashims.

On second Muharram when Hur’s (AS) army reached the caravan of Imam Husayn
(AS), a few miles outside of Koofa the midday sun was fierce. Hur’s men and
his horses were very thirsty and they requested water from Imam Husayn (AS).
Imam graciously granted them water and also quenched the thirst of their
horses.  Nearly all the water that Imam (AS) was travelling was thus
consumed. Hur was very rude to the Imam (AS) holding the reigns of Imam’s
horse he said that was sent to prevent Imam (AS) from travelling to Koofa.
Imam Husayn (AS) informed Hur (AS) that the desperate Muslims of Koofa
invited him there. Hur (AS) stood obstinate in the way and did not allow
Imam (AS) to proceed any further. When Imam (AS) said that he would return
and not go to Koofa, Hur told him that he was to follow the Imam. And so
Hazrat Hur (AS) and his 1000 men followed the Imam’s caravan to the land
that was called Naynava, Mariya, Shattul Furaat, and most well known,
Karbala. Imam Husayn’s (AS) horse stopped there and would not go any
further.

 When Imam (AS) found out that they place was called Karbala, he smiled and
said, “Surely this is the plain where my Holy Grandfather had prophesised
that I with my faithful companions shall lay slain after suffering three
days of hunger and thirst”.

  Imam Husayn (AS) and his followers set up tents. Hur’s army stood vigil
not far from the Imam (AS). This was on the 2nd of Muharram. In the coming
days, the forces of Yazeed were augmented by thousands. According to
different historians the total force was up to one hundred thousand
soldiers. They cordoned the Imam’s (AS) camp off, leaving the tired men,
women, and children without water or food. Their cries of thirst echoed
through the desert and these were the cries that echoed in Hazrat Hur’s head
and made him turn towards the truth. On the morning of Ashura, just before
dawn, Hazrat Hur, along with his son and a slave, rode to Imam Husayn’s (AS)
camp and begged for forgiveness.  When he saw the gathered armies and their
intentions he thought that Imam (AS) would not have been in this situation
had he not curtailed Imam’s (AS) journey.  Hazrat Hur threw himself at Imam
Hussain’s (AS) feet and pleaded for forgives him for putting the Imam and
his followers in fatal jeopardy.  Before coming to the Imam (AS) Hazrat Hur
had asked his slave to tie his hand with a rope, so he can approach Imam
(AS) as a criminal.  Imam Hussain (AS), being the supremely merciful man
that he was, embraced Hazrat Hur saying, “Hur, I forgive you, I assure that
my grandfather, the Holy Prophet s.a.w.w  also forgives you”.

Hur then asked the Imam if he would permit him to fight the enemies of Islam
and the Imam, being the most gracious of hosts, said, “Hur, you are my
guest. How can I let you die for me?” Hur insisted and the Imam (AS) granted
him his wish. From that point on, Hazrat Hur fought on the side of Imam
Hussain and was killed while trying to keep Islam in its purest form. When
Hur died, Imam reached his body and prayed to ALLAH (SWT) to commend this
brave man who gave his life for Islam. The story of Hur is one of a battle
between Noor and Zulamat and the prevalence of the power of an Islamic
conscience over a human mind.

*جنت ہے بڑی چیز نہ کوثر ہے بڑی چیز*
*ہاں آل محمد (ص) کی محبت ہے بڑی چیز*
*دوزخ میں ہوئی صبح تو جنت میں ہوئی شام*