*
**

*When one looks at a great person, one’s thoughts go towards his or her
mother.  “He or she must’ve had an exceptional mother for him or her to be
what he is!” one thinks.*

*When one looks at Imam Ali (as), one’s attention definitely diverts towards
his mother.  ‘How great would his mother have been to have a son like Ali
(as)’ would be an undeniable statement.*

*As my thoughts take me towards the mother of Imam Ali (as), I pretend to be
a maid servant in her house, I try and look to see what I can observe of the
character of this great lady.  Below, I have written a piece about Fatema
bint-e-Asad a.s in historical fiction style, the great mother of a great
son!*

**

*“I am a maid who was given as a gift to Fatema daughter of Asad when she
was married to Abu Talib a.s.  Fatema and AbuTalib have been the nicest
people I’ve ever known.  They are kind, gentle and loving.  Unlike most
people, they treat me and the other workers in their house with kindness.*

*I remember when Abdullah a.s died leaving behind a pregnant wife, Amina.
Amina gave birth to a boy called Muhammed s.a.w. When Muhammed s.a.w was six
years old, his mother passed away, leaving him an orphan. He was then in the
care of Abdul Muttalib, his grandfather, but he passed away after two years.
Fatema and Abu Talib then took care of Muhammed s.a.w and brought him up.
Fatema a.s and Abu Talib a.s treated Muhammed s.a.w even better than their
own children. It seemed as though Muhammed s.a.w was very special. Fatema
and Abu Talib would make the children switch beds with Muhammed s.a.w every
night so if someone was to attack Muhammed s.a.w , he wouldn’t be in his
bed, instead one of Abu Talib’s sons would be there. As he grew older, I saw
that he was somehow very special.*

*Fatema binte Asad would always give charity. She would pick dates from
trees and give it to the poor. Once, the tree had dried up and Fatima a.s
could not get dates. When Muhammed s.a.w came near the tree, the tree filled
with dates and it leaned over, allowing him to pick the dates. He handed me
the dates and told me to distribute them to the poor. What a miracle! It was
then that Fatema a.s prayed for a son who would be like Muhammed s.a.w, what
admiration!*

* Fatema was such a special lady as her prayer was accepted and she gave
birth to a boy inside of the holy Kaba! And what a son that was going to be!
*

*When Muhammed s.a.w grew older, he would spend a lot of time in the cave of
hira. Then in 610 AD he got a revelation and introduced the religion Islam
to the Makkans. Fatema’s entire family converted and I did as well. Islam
told people to worship only one god, Allah. The Makkans did not like this
and would persecute all of the Muslims. The Muslims then migrated to
Madinah. Fatema binte Asad a.s came later with Ali a.s and Fatema a.s ,
Muhammed’s daughter. Fatema binte Asad took great care of Fatema as her
mother had passed away. All the Muslims had to leave everything behind. In
Madinah, there was great hardship as there were many wars against the
Makkans.*

* Fatema binte Asad passed away in 4 AH. She had the honor of raising both a
Prophet and an Imam. The prophet s.a.w gave his own cloak for her kafan and
said “Bless my mother Fatema binte Asad, give her a mansion in Heaven. From
this it almost seems like she should be included as one of the persons
referred to in Surah Duha. 93:5- Did He not find thee an orphan and protect
(thee)?*

*
*

**

**

*Mashallah! A great man surely has to have had a great mother!*

*
*

*
*