KOONDAY, NAZR E SADIQ ALAIHISSALAM ON 22nd RAJABJul 4, '10  4:58 PM
 for everyone                   السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
Koonday:
 22 Rajab: Nazr (Spiritual Vow) There is no religiosity in it (including
 the reading of Lakarhara Ki Kahani ) /The Woodcutter’s story. This is
only a social and cultural gathering. It is true that this custom is
very popular among the Muslims of India and Pakistan in almost every
shia family and many sunni's except those who are habitual caller of
shirk in every thing noble/  well intentioned , without the
 least stain of unreligioucity. There is absolutely nothing wrong in its
 social aspect. It is better for good Muslims to meet at a NAZR and talk
 about Allah , Rasool (s) and the Holy Ahlul Bayt instead of wasting
time on useless gossips. It is also a good occasion for the poor and
less privileged to enjoy a hearty meal which they hardly could afford.
Then there is no element of feeling of shame because the person who
offers the nazr to others feels rather obliged if the same is accepted.
It is said, again has no religiosity in it that if the entire offerings
are finished by the end of , it is a good omen that it has been duly
accepted. It should always be kept in mind that in such offerings there
is no element of innovation because the innovation against which every
believer is warned is connected to obligatory Faraez like you can't
changed the way of wazoo prescribed in the holy Qora’an, you can't add
or subtract any thing from the Salaat, som or introduce your own reforms
 from the prescribed methods as taught by the Rasool e Akram (saaws)
himself or after him his guided Ahlebait (a s).       The
 word NAZR is an Arabic word which means "an offering," in its verbal
form it will mean "to offer" or "to make a spiritual vow."Sometimes the
word NIAZ is also used in this context. This is a word from Farsi which
means "need," and it is its metaphorical use in the sense of an
offering.The basic concept of NAZR is to offer something less valuable
in the hope and expectation of receiving something of higher value. The
"value" does not have to be material; it could just be honor and
dignity.  In
 3:35 the Glorious Qur'an tells the story of Maryam's (Mary of the
Christian scriptures) mother. When a woman of Imran said: My Lord,
surely I vow to Thee (rabbi inni nazartu) what is in my womb, to be
devoted (to Thy service); accept therefore from me, surely Thou art the
Hearing, the Knowing. However, when the child was born, it was a girl
(Maryam) and the families were puzzled as to how to send a girl to the
Temple . But they fulfilled the vow as they had promised their Lord.
And, Maryam was dedicated to serving in the Temple under the
guardianship of prophet Zakariyya (peace be upon him). Later she gave
birth to Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him).   In
 19:26 the Glorious Qur'an tells the story when Prophet Jesus is born
without a father and the Jews are asking of Maryam about such an
implausible situation. So eat and drink and refresh the eye. Then if you
 see any mortal, say: Surely I have vowed a fast to the Beneficent God
(inni nazartu lir-Rahmaani sawman). So I shall not speak to any man
today.   In
 the first twelve verses of Sura Dahr (chapter 76) the Glorious Qur'an
tells the story of NAZR by the Ahlul Bayt (may our salams and Allah's
peace be unto them). The Glorious Qur'an describes the beginning of man
and the attributes of a grateful man in this chapter. One of the many
attributes of a grateful and faithful person is described in verses 7
and 8: "Because they perform the vow (yufoona bin-nazri) and fear a day
whereof the evil is wide-spreading, And feed with food the needy wretch,
 the orphan and the prisoner, for love of Him.  .Here
 please note the order, the needy wretch,the orphan and the prisonar and
 you will find in the following story that on the first day of the som
of the blessed family the person who called introduced himself as the
needy , on the 2nd day as an orphan and the last day as a prisoner .
This just could not be a mere coincidence.  The story goes like this .  Once
 the Imam Hasan and Imam Husayn, who were at that time 5 and 4 years
old, fell ill. When the Prophet of Islam, missed them in the mosque, he
came to Fatima Zahra's house to inquire about them. When he was told
that they were sick, he suggested that both parents should take a
spiritual vow (Nazr) for the children's recovery. So both Imam Ali and
Fatima Zahra prayed to Allah for the recovery of Hasan and Husayn (peace
 be unto them all) and took a vow to fast for three consecutive days
when the children became well again. The children did recover from the
illness soon after. Both parents set about fulfilling their spiritual
vow and fasted. When the children saw that, they also decided to fast
with their parents and so did the house-maid, Fiddha. But that day there
 was no food in Fatima 's house even for breaking the fast. So Imam Ali
went out looking for work. He could not find any. But he was able to get
 three kg's of wool to be spun in exchange of three kg's of barley.
Fatima Zahra spun the wool all day. She was only able to dispense with
one kilo of it. So she took only one kilo of barley ground it into flour
 and prepared five loaves of bread. While they were all ready to break
their fast, someone knocked at the door saying: "O people of the house
of the Prophet, I am a poor man and I have nothing to eat, is there
anything you could do to feed me." At this Imam Ali stood up, went to
the door and gave his loaf to the man. Fatima Zahra did the same.
Watching this, both children also gave their loaves and so did the maid.
 They broke their fast by water and retired. The next day Fatima Zahra
spun another kilo of wool. So she separated one kilo of barley, ground
it into flour and prepared five loaves once again. As they were ready to
 break their fast, once again, a voice called out from the door: "O
people of the house of The Prophet, I am an orphan, I am hungry, could
you feed me?" Hearing this, Imam Ali stood up and gave his loaf to the
man, so did Fatima Zahra, the children and the maid. They all, once
again, broke their fast by water and retired. Came the third day, Fatima
 Zahra spun the rest of the wool, took the remaining barley, ground it
into flour and prepared five loaves. As they were ready to break the
fast, a voice called from the door saying: "O people of the house of the
 Prophet, I am a prisoner, I am hungry, could you feed me?" Hearing
this, once again, Imam Ali stood up and went to the door and gave his
loaf away to the prisoner. Fatima Zahra, the children and the maid did
likewise. Every time the person at the door would want to express his
gratitude for the kindness, Imam Ali would say: "No, no, we are not
looking for any reward from you for this act, we are doing it out of
Allah's love."  Now
 the children had just been quite ill. And they had not eaten anything
in three days. The Prophet of Islam, once again entered the house asking
 about the children. When he looked at them they were shaking like
autumn leaves (those are the exact words in the report). Fatima Zahra
told him what had been going on in the family. At that time the
archangel Gabriel came down with a gift of Allah to the Prophet. That
gift was the verses of Sura Insan or Dahr (chapter 76), which we quote
below.  They
 fulfill vows and fear a day the evil of which shall be spreading far
and wide. And they give food out of love for Him to the poor and the
orphan and the captive. We only feed you for Allah's sake; we desire
from you neither reward nor thanks: Surely we fear from our Lord a
stern, distressful day. Therefore Allah will guard them from the evil of
 that day and cause them to meet with ease and happiness. And reward
them, because they were patient, with garden and silk. (Glorious Qur'an,
 76:7-12)  This
 story tells us that the Prophet of Islam, recommended to any family
that if and when you are facing a difficult situation or you are
distressed, you should do Nazr. In other words, take a spiritual vow
that when the problem is over you would offer special prayers or invite
friends and relatives for food that has been dedicated to the Ahlul Bayt
 in Allah's name.  The story is the guiding light for us in our lives. The
family of Fatima Zahra (peace be unto her)
 fulfilled their Nazr, but when a more needy person came they gave away
their food to him without any regard to their own needs. Glorious Qur'an
 has made it incumbent upon us to love the Prophet of Islam and his holy
 family and fashion our lives according to how they lived.  There is a Hadeeth
attributed to our sixth Imam, Imam Jafar Sadiq (as).
 Once the Imam was walking in the streets of Madinah with some of his
companions. He suddenly stopped and looked to his companions and
inquired about the date. They all said that that was the 22nd day of
Rajab. The Imam then said: "If anyone of you is facing a difficulty of
any kind in this world, you should prepare some sweets and set them up
in a clay pot (Koonday in Urdu) and dedicate that in a Nazr to my
person. You should then pray to your Lord using my WASEELA. Allah will,
if He wills, remove your difficulty. However, if your problem is not
resolved then you would come to me on the Day of Judgement and complain
to me."This is how this particular Nazr , popularly called Koonday has
been dedicated to the Memory of Imam Jafar e Sadiq (a s) the 6th
successor of the  Holy Prophet (s)  So
 the conclusion we could draw that such functions are a part of the
desired social life and are a sunnat e Rasool e Akram (saaws) Any person
 who calls this shirk or an innovation is just living in the era of
Jaheliyah and the best you could do is to ignore them altogether.  Allah
 Bless all the Momeneen wo Momenat who try to live their life as far as
they can on the pattern of Ahlebait athaar alaihissalaat wo Salaam.    Was
Salam wa Rehmat Allahe wa Barkatoh .  Zaheer Husain Khan

 ZAINAB SALAM ALLAH ALAIHA , THE SAVIOR OF ISLAM AND HIJAB Jun 23, '11 11:51 AM
 for everyoneSome
 rawayaat say the great saviour of Islam , the Lady Zainab (saa) the
daughter of Ameeral momeneen (a s ) and the lady Leader of the Momenaat
of the Universe was born on 5th of R.A though it is also reported that
the blessed lady appeared in this world to grace this earth on the 1st
of shawwal . It does not matter what is the real date, for us both the
dates are sacred and respectful for it is attached to a personality
because of whom the real Islam exists today other wise the fasiq o fajir
 Yazeed blind in his enmity to the Ahlebayt, son of the greatest enemy
of Islam Moaviah (LA) son of Abu Sufiyan (LA) who was the greatest hater
 of Rasool e Akram (saaws) and his Mission Islam . It is the first
Majlis e Aza she held in as prisoners of Islam permitted by the efforts
of the wife of the accursed Yazeed who not only allowed the Mourning but
 also set them free because of that lady Hind who was once when young in
 Madinah , took lesions from her Teacher Zainab (saa) This student of
Bibi (saa) when came to know that the cries which she hears from the
prison nearby, after her personal investigation are from none else but
from the family of the Princess of Madina who used to teach her when she
 was young and now are imprisoned after their male family members were
cruelly & brutally massacred in Karbala and the ladies and children
were made captive in a jail without a proper cover and in which the very
 young daughter of her brother , Sakinah (saa) succumbed to the hardship
 and her only brother who could not participate in the defensive battle
due to severe illness only survived to continue the chain of Imamat
which continues till today by his great grand son , living in
occultation , away from our vision but soon shall appear as the promised
 mehdi (a s) and shall fill this earth with Peace and Tranquillity . May
 Allah hasten his (a s ) appearance . It is very heartening that on this
 blessed day our young girls have decided to celebrate this day as the
HIJAB DAY so appropriately too as no doubt that hijab is a strict
obligation for all believing muslims and is the finest means to protect
one's modesty and the blessed Iranian ladies have shown to the world
that they are, almost all practicing shariyah pardah or hijab, are in no
 way inferior to any one in any field of army, education, medicine,
police, science, technology even in aviation-engineering.

 Now the ladies are convinced that this is not only wajib but useful in
their own interest and is neither oppressive, repressive or an
imposition of cruelty heaped on them but  great blessings and an obligation
which cannot be abandoned  just because a large section of the world society
has become fond of exhibitionism and nudism .

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

The word NAZR is an Arabic word which means "an offering," in its verbal form
it will mean "to offer" or "to make a spiritual vow."

Note that NAZR is used in Arabic in a totally different meaning also - "to
warn," that is not in this context. Therefore, we leave that for the time.

The Glorious Qur'an has used the word "NAZR" in both meanings. We will only
discuss here the first usage, i.e., which is relevant to our discussion here.

Sometimes the word NIAZ is also used in this context. This is a word from Farsi
which means "need," and it is its metaphorical use in the sense of an offering.

The basic concept of NAZR is to offer something less valuable in the hope and
expectation of receiving something of higher value. The "value" does not have
to be material; it could just be honor and dignity. The examples below will
explain this notion further.

1. In 5:27-31 the Glorious Qur'an tells the story of the two sons of the
prophet Adam (peace be upon him). The two sons of Adam (Habeel and Qabeel,
Anglicized names: Able and Cain) made an offering to their Lord, one was
accepted and the other was rejected. The brother, whose offering was rejected,
became jealous of his brother and in a rage of jealousy and frustration he
killed his brother. For that Qabeel's face was darkened, he went crazy and he
will bear the burden of every unlawful murder to the Day of Judgement. Note
that the word for offering used in the Glorious Qur'an in this instance is
Q-R-B instead of NAZR.

2. In 3:35 the Glorious Qur'an tells the story of Maryam's (Mary of the
Christian scriptures) mother. When a woman of Imran said: My Lord, surely I vow
to Thee (rabbi inni nazartu) what is in my womb, to be devoted (to Thy
service); accept therefore from me, surely Thou art the Hearing, the Knowing.
However, when the child was born, it was a girl (Maryam) and the families were
puzzled as to how to send a girl to the Temple. But they fulfilled the vow as
they had promised their Lord. And, Maryam was dedicated to serving in the
Temple under the guardianship of prophet Zakariyya (peace be upon him). Later
she gave birth to Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him).

3. In 19:26 the Glorious Qur'an tells the story when Prophet Jesus is born
without a father and the Jews are asking of Maryam about such an implausible
situation. So eat and drink and refresh the eye. Then if you see any mortal,
say: Surely I have vowed a fast to the Beneficent God (inni nazartu
lir-Rahmaani sawman). So I shall not speak to any man today.

4. In the first twelve verses of Sura Dahr (chapter 76) the Glorious Qur'an

--

 فبای الاء ربکما تکذبن.

http://groups.google.com/group/shiagroup?hl=en.