Staying away from SinAyat. Shaykh Jawad Kerbalai, the great scholar of akhlaq
remarks: “I had a great benefit from the many years that I studied under Ayat.
Behjat.  In that time I also witnessed first-hand many of the wondrous gifts
that he has been granted. Among his words of wisdom I recall: He always
insisted that no progress could be made without abandoning sin.  He used to
say, “The great and special bounties of Allah are available freely to all His
true servants, the only requirement is that a person has to qualify for these
gifts.  The only way to qualify for these special favours is by abandoning the
disobedience of Allah swt. Of course, there must be some commitment to attain
proximity to Allah swt as well. The more a person knows the station of God
(attains ma’rifat) and the more he loves Him, the more important it is to avoid
every sin, even minor ones and even loss of concentration in His presence in
worship. It is because some servants reach this stage of proximity that it is
said, “hasanaatu’l abrar, sayyiatu’l muqarrabeen”, or “the virtuous acts of the
righteous people are (only) ordinary acts for the close servants”.” Once a
student who had only recently joined the hawzaasked Ayat Behjat:“I have come to
the hawza to attain knowledge.  What should I do so that I can become a proper
scholar?”  Ayat. Behjat lowered his head and remained silent for a while, then
he said, “There is no difference between a hawza student and anybody else.
What is important is that he does not commit a sin.” On another occasion he was
asked:“What is the best dhikr (invocation)?”  He replied, “In the opinion of
this simple servant, the best dhikr is the dhikr of action!  What I mean is
refraining from sinful beliefs (aqida) and sinful conduct (‘amal). Goodness and
true success will only come from this way.” In a letter, he was asked how one
could attain proximity to God and also gain closeness to His khalifah, the Imam
of our time (AF).   He replied: “Bismihi ta’ala. Refrain from sin and pray the
salat at the exact time.”