Bob,

The Chicago 966SD and Bang SRV II are two different kinds of
drivers...normal faced steel and tall faced Ti. I have many customers who
are still playing the 966SD after 4 years and prefer it to the new Ti
monsters because it's easy to hit straight at any length, gets the ball up
and carries a long way. If it has a shortcoming, it doesn't roll a long
way...especially on wet Bermuda fairways. And, it looks kind of dated. My
senior lady customers still prefer a light 966 (195 grams) over anything
else because of its consistent play...and most get better carry with it.
Some of the senior guys have switched to 47" and 48" S450s for distance, and
I have a couple who have gone to the SRV II. But, when they can't hit the
S450 for some reason, they go back to their 48" 966s.

The SRV II is recent and most of my senior customers are quite satisfied
with either the 966SD or the S450 for the moment. Given a demo of the S450
and SRV II to try at the range, the preference is beginning to swing to the
SRV II. It looks like it's better made and has a more solid feel. Distance
is comparable, though the louder S450 makes some guys feel they are hitting
it farther...others don't like the noise. These flex-face heads are not the
easiest clubs to hit consistently, but with practice the distance gain seems
worth the "risk." I can hit an SRV II at 47" just about as far as the S450
at 48" and the SRV is a lot easier to swing. Since I've had kidney failure
and have lost some strength (am on peritoneal dialysis at home now, and
getting some strength back gradually, I think), the lighter swingweight of
my SRV II makes it a little easier to use (S450 is E0 with a PE-A 59 gram
shaft, SRV II is D7 with a 53 gram FL-50 R shaft)...so I've been playing it
for the last couple of months. I'm not as consistent with it as I was with
my 48" 966SD, but the SRV gets a lot more roll with a higher cg...in fact,
it's hard for me to get the 9° up where I like it to be, while the 8° 966SD
hits the ball quite high. When I hit the SRV just right, it's a good ten
yards longer (260-270 yards) than the 966SD, though I don't hit quite as
many just right with it as I did with the 966. On a good day, I'm a pretty
consistent 240-250 yards with both clubs using a smooth swing, though the
SRV II may be better against the wind because it hits the ball lower and
rolls it farther.

So, I can't say I have a preference for either head from any rational
standpoint...but being a clubmaker with an addiction for trying new drivers
and new technology, like the higher COR heads, the SRV II is my choice at
the moment. I've had one 69 with it this year and several even par 72
rounds. It's certainly the best of the four Bang heads I've tried. (Dark
Matter was terrible, SF 360 and Mellow Yellow OK, but felt harsh to me and
faded more.) For a beginner, woman or mid handicapper, my recommendation
would be the 966SD at the maximum length the player can handle, because it's
so much easier to hit consistently.

Bernie
Writeto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]