As a hobbyist, I have never actually had a demand for "clones".  I have been able to convince all of my friends/customers that performance is more important than appearance, and that the quality is generally better with non-clone clubs.  I have generally ordered from GS, Dynacraft, Chicago Golf and Raven Golf for irons, and the same places including Bang, SMT, etc... for fairways and drivers.  These components tend to be a bit more expensive, but since the bottom-line isn't as important to me as a hobbyist, my friends/customers and I  don't mind the added expense.  Just my $0.02 worth.

Tedd

-----Original Message-----
From: tflan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 12:17 PM
To: ShopTalk
Subject: ShopTalk: Selling it

Hi;

It appears that the consensus about selling and ethics is pretty much in agreement as to the driving range issue. Simply selling a club out of one's bag isn't unethical, opening up a "business" at the range without the owner's permission is grossly unethical. I agree with that.

O.K. Now that we have that settled, here's another one for the ethicists on board our happy little electronic ship. Is anyone, hobbyist, cut and glue guy, professional, at all concerned over making clubs that are, if not exact duplicates of OEM stuff, close enough to be suspect? I think the most egregious example of this are the Ping Anser clones by Bettinardi and Cameron in the "big name" section of the business, and every other Chinese copy - there are dozens of brands - we all have assembled. Add to that the multiple copies of Callaway, Titleist, Cobra, TaylorMade, Mizuno, etc., and you may have an ethical dilemma.

So, has anyone sold any of that stuff and felt bad about it later? Or is it simply a matter of "I gotta make a living and besides, everyone else is doing it."

Is there anything unethical about selling that stuff?

TFlan

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.