From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 2:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ShopTalk: "Spineless" graphite shafts

Now I didn't mention that to impress anyone and it's not everyday that I purchase or sell the high end Fujikuras. I sell far more Vista Pro's and an eclectic mix of other manufacturers as well. I have heard good things about SK Fiber from a variety of sources and may well try some of them soon.
It was asked what shafts were found to be near spineless and this particular shaft was such that I even contacted Dan Neubecker about Neufinder plans as I was suspecting that my finely tuned sense of touch was leaving me :-).
Now the other shaft that was used that day was a Graphite Design YS-6 stiff. In checking for spines, etc. the GD was a pretty much typical type 2 shaft and outside of the two FLO planes it oscillated in a very, very tight oval. Both shafts showed only a maximum deviation of 3 to 4 cpm between weakest & strongest planes through a 360 degree rotational cpm test. That alone was impressive but what really got me was that they exhibited nearly identical cpm readings at the butt, Zone A, Zone B and tip sections as defined by the old Golfsmith team. I recheck cpm's at 18", 20", 22", 24", 26" and 28" from the tip with a 205 gram tip weight and once again after assembly using the same measurements from the bottom of the club. In this case I used two nearly identical Vector II 370 heads that only varied by .2 grams in weight. The Graphite Design is supposed to be tipped one inch before installation but since the specs in all cases were nearly identical (even torque 3.5*)I didn't tip t!
he GD. The GD is, however, a lighter shaft.
OK, when hitting at the range tonight the GD seemed to push right a tad while the Fujikura hit far more tightly grouped shots. Two different golfers were hitting and the only other thing notice tonight was that one thought he might be getting better carry with the GD. That was tough as he was flying the ball some 250yds and at night who can really tell. More on these two later if anyone is interested.
Last comment. More than anything else, it's about results, not about cost. Factor cost in later and if a person doesn't think it's worth it, or even if they do, then that's their personal opinion and their pocketbook. It's one thing to not hit the expensive stuff any better than the bargain stuff but it's hard to argue about the more costly stuff when there is obvious improvement. Everyone figures what the game is worth to them and goes from there.
Rich "Mac" McHattieMac's Golf