Hi Gerry

Well, I'm up in the frozen north so I haven't had a good test yet I would say.  This weekend is supposed to be pretty mild (7 - 10 degree C)... so I am going to go to a range where I can see full ball flight and I think I'll get a better idea of how I am hitting them.  Next week I am going to Orlando and will test them on real grass.  Side note - probably am going to hook up with Mark Patton to play a round or two on the weekend, since I missed the pga show!

Anyway, so far, I hit once with them in a dome (them = apache pm40, tom's zt, ust tourforce 80 from golfsmith)... interesting first tests (to me at least).  My swingweights were confirmed by a second machine - Tom's came out at D2, the USD at D0 and the Apache at C8... despite dry-fitting to D1 or D2... obviously I need to improve my dry-fitting!  But without any additional weight I really liked the UST, Tom's was okay and I wasn't too impressed with the Apache.  So I added a swingweight strip (these black birdie things I've had for years - adds 1s/w pt each)... minor adjustment, didn't figure I would notice it... well with the slight adjustment I liked Tom's the best, followed by the UST and I was even less impressed with the Apache.  Very odd.  I love the Apache PM40 in my driver... thought I'd like it in an iron but this particular combo doesn't do it justice I guess.

The specs were interesting.  Tom's and the UST shaft were similar torque ratings to start (advertised rating that is, I have no way to confirm)... 3.5 and 3.9 respectively.  The Apache was 2.2.  The apache was also 11g heavier than the UST and almost 20g heavier than Tom's.  The pattern, if I am not making too much of it, is I prefer the higher torque shafts and as I get into a lighter shaft weight I like a heavier swingweight.  The total weight of the clubs with the UST and Tom's was 2g apart - very close - and the Apache was +10g (heavier).

Anyway, I had the lies adjusted a bit flatter, but I was hitting so poorly the day I had it done that I didn't get a comfort level with any benefit yet.  It's 1/2" longer than what I play now (it's 38" 5iron) -- so this weekend will be interesting - I'll be testing new lie angles (about 60* on all 3) and also getting full ball flight, but still off mats.  I hope I swing well so that the results may actually mean something...

Thanks for asking!  Probably a longer answer than what you were looking for though : )
Jen

skismith wrote:
Jen,
how did that Tom Wishon Golf ZT shaft test out for you?

Gerry

Jen Kuntz wrote:

There is shoptalk mail?