-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of ddpn
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 2:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ShopTalk: Driver for the 'ole Man

I've got this 74 year old customer, er... Dad, who finally wants to try one
of those "weird looking" (350cc+) whiz-bang Ti drivers that everyone else
in his foursome is using to outdrive him.  Naturally, he comes to the guy
who will never hear the end of it if the new club fails to perform up to
expectations... the Kid.

So, in an effort to help ensure familial harmony, I seek the wisdom and
guidance of those who may have walked this path before me... y'all!

So, here's the situation.  The 'ole Man:

        1) Will not consider a LONG driver (Bernie Style)
        2) Was occasionally a scratch, but usually a 3-handicapper in earlier times
        3) Usually grips down on the club
            3a) Says he likes the length of a 42" (very comfortable for him) driver
                 he has in the stable
        4) Tends to presently send 'em out around 220-225 yds. with a Callaway
                 10* R graphite shafted steel head driver
        5) Doesn't want anything over 400cc
        6) Normally very accurate, but exhibiting a fade tendency as of late
        7) Isn't crying about trajectory being too low
        8) Wants a finished product as light as possible (probably sub.

As possible head candidates, I have looked at the specs of the new:

        1) GS Jetstream Black Box (380cc, 10* loft, 58* lie, 55mm face ht.)
        2) Wishon Nightfire (355cc, 11* loft, 58* lie, 56mm face ht.)
        3) Wishon 915CFE (360cc, 10.5* loft, 56* lie, 53mm face ht.)

Shaft wise, I don't believe he is yet a candidate for an Active flex,
although certainly the margin has narrowed.  As a result, I'll likely
continue using something in the "R" flex range.  However, I will ask if any
of you have taken note of any stand-out shafts for the senior men who are
dealing with the expected distance loss.

Suggestions, anyone??

Thanks!

Tom Mishler